Cleaning p-valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read a thread on DIR quest that mentioned folks getting bladder infections from their p-valves (or more specifically the catheter).

Should the p-valve be cleaned to keep down bacteria and stuff growing wild in there and if so with what?

I've considered possibly a bleach or alchohol solution but worried that may have some effect on the plastic/rubber parts.

guerosd once bubbled...
I recently read a thread on DIR quest that mentioned folks getting bladder infections from their p-valves (or more specifically the catheter).

Should the p-valve be cleaned to keep down bacteria and stuff growing wild in there and if so with what?

I've considered possibly a bleach or alchohol solution but worried that may have some effect on the plastic/rubber parts.

Mebbe they oughta just try changing the catheters once in a while :confused:

I just rinse the tube out with fresh water after the dive and blow it dry... I do this before doffing the suit so that any residual contents do not spill back into the suit.

I always leave a little water in my water bottle just for this purpose.

As for cleaning the cath... hmmm... best bet is to just use a new one each time. :wink:

I have a deli mustard and ketchup set of squeeze bottles with tips that fit the tubing on my p-valve. After diving I rinse the whole system with vinegar, then follow with water. I also flush out the external part of the valve with water.

As Pug said, the cath is only used once, then thrown away.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
I have a deli mustard and ketchup set of squeeze bottles with tips that fit the tubing on my p-valve. After diving I rinse the whole system with vinegar, then follow with water. I also flush out the external part of the valve with water.

As Pug said, the cath is only used once, then thrown away.

MD

Wow! My answer was actually correct! Who'da thunk it??

Maybe we have a confusion of terms.... I refer to the disposable part as the condom... I generally call the tube the catheter....

I dont want folks thinkin I'm reusin the condom (or the catheter as you guys call it) for god sakes.:eek:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
The tubing is called... tubing. :D

D'oh! Who'da thunk it! :bonk:

I've heard about bladder infections from foleys(internal caths) in the hospital, but not from external caths when diving. I use water to flush out the system after use.

Back
Top Bottom