Cleaning Rubber Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMo:
Hi all! I was just wondering what everyone uses to clean up rubber fins? I "rescued" some slightly abused Atomic Aquatic fins, and they are covered in white residue, and just look kind of filthy. Hope they just need a good scrubbing! Thanks.

I had a problem with a redish type of film on my fins before after diving a quarry. To get it off I used a car tire cleaner/dressing. Spray it on and leave it hang for an hour...as good as new.

I would not leave my rubber fins out in the sunfor no good purpose as the UV will eventualy damage the rubber. The white stuff is something like parifin or some other component of the rbber exuding and then drying out. I think it is a natural process.

Weathered and faded rubber is a different story. I think 3M Aerospace protectant or pure silicone sprays would be helpful. I worry about things like Armor All. In the aircraft industry the de ice boots are rubber. A special type of "boot" rejuvenator/wax is used on them to preserve them. It seems to work fine on dive equipment as well but I have no idea were a non aviation person would aquire any--sorry. There are probably automotive dtail products that would work, have to do some research. N

See, now that's the kind of stuff I was talking about. Great tips.
I never thought of the tire stuff - that would probably take care of my problem real quick!

Nemrod, yeah, I wouldn't look to be doing something like this on a continuous basis, but they definitely need something more than soap and water. I think that I will try the tire treatment thing one time, followed by a gooood rinse. Then maybe just give them a light spritz with some silicon spray. Then, just try to wear them out! Thanks again to all of you and Merry Christmas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom