Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, it's because back in those days mask skirts were made out of rubber instead of silicone ... and rubber doesn't come in clear ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And the only reason black dominated over all of those other colors is the same reason that tires were black - the molecules in rubber exposed to sunlight were broken down by UV exposure and the rubber became brittle and cracked. Carbon black protected the rubber against UV radiation, and also made it black. A red or yellow rubber mask dried up and fell apart in a fraction of the time that a black mask would survive. Somehow, a strictly utilitarian black became fashionable.

Stirling:
A red or yellow rubber mask dried up and fell apart in a fraction of the time that a black mask would survive. Somehow, a strictly utilitarian black became fashionable.

Black rose above red or yellow. A testimate to form over "fashion"

Long live long living black gear.

---
Ken

Actually, I have a gray mask skirt.

It's very fashionable ... and it matches my beard ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lamont:
someone better inform George Irvine that he isn't DIR:

Date: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:05 pm
Subject: RE: [gavinscooters] Re: black vs clear mask

Clear skirt works better for seeing any light or movement around you. ...

I think the black skirt thing is another "look slick" idea that acts as a handicap.

The concept of night blindness does not apply unless we are talking light shined directly into your eyes that would cause your pupils to constrict, and then you again are dealing with a stroke buddy.

Etc. Etc. Seems to be a bit of differences of opinion even within the gurus in the DIR world. A friend attended a seminar at the Beyond the Sea show two weeks ago and Tim O'Leary the head of NAUI Tech Ops wants black. I wasn't there but did anyone else hear this?

i'd place bets that there's a wide variability in people's eyesight as far as peripheral vision and night blindness and susceptability to glare and other issues. in the absence of any issues, i'd say a clear skirt would probably be better. in the presence of issues caused by bad technique, that technique should get fixed. if there are still glare issues, then a black skirt may be called for. one size probably does not fit all.

but the overriding issue is still there in that its such a small optimization that i doubt it matters. low volume and good fit are vastly more important. my time and money are better spent getting a set of doubles than figuring out the absolutely perfect mask for me -- it is nowhere near the lowest hanging fruit of my scuba gear issues...

:/ I thought I read someplace on this thread about a mask that kinda helps you to not crane your neck so far back? I thought it was here now I cant find it. Anyway. Im more feet up so I was kinda interested in that. The ole neck gets sore.

Clear skirts are much better for students, especially for perfoming some of the skills for OW. If you have a clear skirt and your instructor gives you the mask-clear skill sign, simply point to your mask skirt and give him or her the okay. It's much easier than clearing a black skirted mask which involves eye wetting and nose blowing.
I'm not to terribly picky about skirts myself though. Stuff like that makes me chuckle.

Scubakevdm:
Clear skirts are much better for students, especially for perfoming some of the skills for OW. If you have a clear skirt and your instructor gives you the mask-clear skill sign, simply point to your mask skirt and give him or her the okay. It's much easier than clearing a black skirted mask which involves eye wetting and nose blowing.
I'm not to terribly picky about skirts myself though. Stuff like that makes me chuckle.

LOL dag nabbit why didnt I think of that!

OE2X:
Verdict:
I found I hated the clear skirt. I got a reflection on the inside of the mask lens. Not only that but the higher volume made me need to tip my head further back to see.

I'm sticking to my black mask and would advise everyone else not to bother with the clear skirted masks.

To each his own I guess. I'm using a mares purevision with clear skirt and it doesn't bother me the least. It's low volume and I don't need to tip my head forward or back more than I should to see what's above or below me. Black Skirts look cool though but I use what best works for me underwater, clear skirt.

Back
Top Bottom