clinic,workshop and mentoring for scuba diving (not certification courses)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fa1th1st

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to improve my diving. I'm only interested in diving in tropical (warm water locations) have enough points to fly free to almost anyplace. I live in Boston MA, USA so I'd prefer to stay in North or Central America. There is a guy in the Philippines I've been communicating with but he isn't as responsive as I'd like and I understand that he may imagine that I am only wasting his time an will not actually come there. I can work on my skills for between 14 -30 days in February and or March maybe even in April. I'm looking to stay in basic kinda fancy backpacker type accommodation. I'd prefer to spend my money paying for my instructors expertise and attention to help me achieve the level of skill I want rather than on fancy accommodations.

I have taken the PADI buoyancy course and it didn't help. I'm Advance Open Water Certified. I have recently (last week) purchased a back-plate and wing bcd (halcyon, infinity) and am reading like crazy to learn as much as possible about all the things I can to in order to maintain trim. I'm trying to do whatever I can to improve my performance in the water.

My goal is to become a very competent diver at the moment I'm about as bad a diver as you can imagine. I'm sure I have over 200 dives but I don't log anymore. I dive last February and March in Utila and I was embarrassed every time I got in the water. I started diving at about 50 years old (took open water twice even though I passed the first time around) while living in Thailand. So most of my dives have been in Thailand on liveaboards in the Similans or in Malaysia at Sipadan. My goal is to dive the Galapagos (I know the water isn't warm) at some point and to retire near the Sea of Cortez or near Coiba in order to have great diving on a regular basis.

I'd prefer to work with an independent instructor (rather than a dive center) sorry I just want the instructor to get all the money ...the guy in the Philippines teaches tech divers and recreational divers I'm just looking for someone with a similar approach to maintaining trim at all times and mastering buoyancy and movement under the water.

Please offer recommendations or tell me when and where you are available and what your fees are.

Look into a GUE Fundamentals course, or UTD ESM.

Many instructors, many locations, some warm, others cold.

A dive changing 4 days for the Fundamentals course, and I'd expect the ESM to be similar in length.

_R

Look into a GUE Fundamentals course, or UTD ESM.

Many instructors, many locations, some warm, others cold.

A dive changing 4 days for the Fundamentals course, and I'd expect the ESM to be similar in length.

_R
R, Thank you so much for this information I've already started looking for places that offer this type of instruction. Much appreciated...Fa1th1st

I would tell you to get in a pool ... You don't need to waste your time in some dive resort....

Jim...

There are GUE courses all over the world. This month I see Fundamentals classes in the Red Sea, Bali and the Philippines, as well as lots of places where you'll need a heavier exposure suit.

Contact Dive with Elena and her supportive husband, Netdoc. If you decide to take a fundies class, I suggest that you approach the class as a recreational single tank diver. With either approach, your trim, buoyancy, spatial and safety skills will be startling different after your training. They might suggest changes to your equipment - with a positive outlook, I am sure that you will have a wonderful and enjoyable learning experience.

There are GUE courses all over the world. This month I see Fundamentals classes in the Red Sea, Bali and the Philippines, as well as lots of places where you'll need a heavier exposure suit.
Thanks for the advice KevinNM I'm looking at what is available for Feb, March and April.

Contact Dive with Elena and her supportive husband, Netdoc. If you decide to take a fundies class, I suggest that you approach the class as a recreational single tank diver. With either approach, your trim, buoyancy, spatial and safety skills will be startling different after your training. They might suggest changes to your equipment - with a positive outlook, I am sure that you will have a wonderful and enjoyable learning experience.
I've looked at it and found his linkedin page. I was hoping for something more than a 1 day training. But I will contact Netdoc about the possibility of more than a 1 day session. Thanks for your suggestion much appreciated. Fa1th1st

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom