CO Death Myth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I know Por Esto can be jaded but by all means stop beating around the bush. Was the article in part or whole a lie or not AND what is your proof?

You claim to have talked to people involved ?? Who EXACTLY.....

Yea I know you reported there was no test BUT his dive buddy claims in the A&I thread related to this a lethally elevated level which would indicate there was a test done.

The way autopsies are done might be a shame but to come on a public message board and to claim such things as you and others about what happens there is troubling. Are you now backing off the fact that they are done totally unprofessionally and just leaving it at it's a shame how they are done or are you going to explain the truth? By all means tell us if uncertified or unqualified people actually do the autopsies and if the reports are fudged and also feel free to include proof.

WSOPFAN,

Dave LIVES in Cozumel and knows the place and many of the people. He has SEEN where and how the tanks are filled. He knows about the local medical care there and knows the reputation of some of the doctors there. Based on his experience, I respect his opinion. I mean, I hope he'd let me call him if I ever got ill in Cozumel...I'd want to know where to go, which doctor to see, and which one to not see.

By the way, pink or red skin is actually rare in CO toxicity. Also, I've driven in Cozumel...I think my CO level went up just from sitting in my rental car ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it was an SCR and not pure CCR, so diluent would still be added with every breath---although not as quick as OC.

Robert

I had not thought about this until someone asked how a rebreather would handle CO, I think that given the high affinity for CO, the hemoglobin in the blood would scrub the CO out of the breathing loop as it passed through the lungs. Additional CO would only be added as diluent was added. That argues against CO poisoning.

WSOPFAN,

Dave LIVES in Cozumel and knows the place and many of the people. He has SEEN where and how the tanks are filled.;-)

Well then why would he not answer my straight forward question about plumbing... He said something was IMPOSSIBLE, I mention something that SEEMS to make it possible (logical really) and he completely ignores it????

Can you take a hot fill off the compressor or not? If so, would a hot fill bypass the CO sampling location?

About the only thing that i can question is that there was no cover up on scuba mau. It was an ill concieved bounce dive.
so what is the implied cover up here?

Not so. Perhaps you don't remember but the first week of reports from the Scuba Mau incident , including from one of the participants (Heath), was that a terrible down current caused them to exceed planned depths. Even though it was a stupid and crazy dive plan from the start, and down currents had absolutely nothing to do with it.

That caused a crap load of hysteria about how dangerous Cozumel diving was and many others joined in about their terrifying experiences with Cozumel diving. That caused many people to change their minds about diving Cozumel.

Now the same sort of hysteria is popping up about CO in tanks, all the while Cozumel is probably the safest place in the entire world to dive, tank fills included. About that there is no reasonable question.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

WSOPFAN,

Dave LIVES in Cozumel and knows the place and many of the people. He has SEEN where and how the tanks are filled. He knows about the local medical care there and knows the reputation of some of the doctors there. Based on his experience, I respect his opinion. I mean, I hope he'd let me call him if I ever got ill in Cozumel...I'd want to know where to go, which doctor to see, and which one to not see.

By the way, pink or red skin is actually rare in CO toxicity. Also, I've driven in Cozumel...I think my CO level went up just from sitting in my rental car ;-)

I am not sure if you or Dave has read the thread about this in A&I but many things were covered there. There were news articles, posts from another board, posts from this person's dive buddies one of whom was actually there. It was reported in that thread by his buddy that the diver had elevated carboxyhemoglobin levels which he later clarified to be lethally elevated levels. Now how does he know this? Was he told by the coroner or see the report? In any case this completely contradicts what Dave and others are claiming. This poster also explained how a single tank can become contaminated in that type of filling environment. Again Dave claims it is not possible and also states the claims from this incident are causing harm to the tourism as it has been reported falsely. The article posted with the information about the coroner's report is actually not from Por Esto but another paper. After I read the information on the A&I thread I believe it to be accurate unless and until PROVEN to be incorrect. I have asked for proof of that here and got nothing but somebody told him this or that or I live here so I should know. That is not good enough and if that were my relative or family member I would be furious that someone would post such inflammatory comments without stating absolute proof. I agree there is the possibility that some facts of the story may have been passed along mistakenly but these issues were raised in a thread in A&I by Christi and the dive buddy in question stated she was lying and now here we are again and some are claiming the same things.

Do you think it is amusing to say your CO level went up just from driving there or as others claim from heavy smoking? The report was that the levels were LETHALLY elevated which would indicate much higher levels than that of a heavy smoker. Also how is it that the coroner came to that conclusion? He obviously either did a test or is completely lying as Dave would have you believe.

Like I said before if a coroner were to want to fudge a report you would think he would do it in favor of the tourism community not report something that would cause harm to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, Dave did not say that there was proof positive that CO was not involved, he said that that is what he believes. The burden of proof weighs no more heavily on him than on the rest of us. He clearly stated it as opinion, not as fact.

FWIW, Dave did not say that there was proof positive that CO was not involved, he said that that is what he believes. The burden of proof weighs no more heavily on him than on the rest of us. He clearly stated it as opinion, not as fact.

Well he did say it was "inconceivable" that one tank could come off the line "different" than the rest; that seems to be stating it is impossible and I equate that to an attempt to express factual information rather than an opinion. If someone is not going to be honest about a simple matter of plumbing, why should his "opinion" be held in high regard about the more subjective information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom