Coast Guard searching for missing Deerfield Beach diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

Coast Guard searching for missing diver off Florida coast

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (WFLA) — The U.S. Coast Guard is asking boaters to be on the lookout for a diver who went missing off the southeast Florida coast on Saturday.

In a Twitter post, the Coast Guard announced it was searching for Erick Gaunt, who was described as a white man in his 30s.

Gaunt went missing near Deerfield Beach, which is located in northern Broward County, just south of Boca Raton. He was wearing a black wetsuit with white and yellow oxygen tanks when he disappeared.

Anyone with information about the missing diver is asked to contact the U.S. Coast Guard Sector Miami at (305) 535-4472.

It might have been helpful for the CG to elaborate a bit more on how they know he is missing.......Did someone see him "disappear" ?

Hope he turns up OK...

Shore diving there on Sunday.
"The U.S. Coast Guard is asking boaters to be on the lookout for a diver who went missing off the southeast Florida coast on Saturday (today)."

"The U.S. Coast Guard is asking boaters to be on the lookout for a diver who went missing off the southeast Florida coast on Saturday (today)."
Yes. I know today. Going to that area tomorrow. The article said yellow and white “tanks”. If shore diving, that area is shallow for a long way out. Maybe he was on a dive boat? People like to dive a few wrecks in that area.

It might have been helpful for the CG to elaborate a bit more on how they know he is missing....
Just to add our topside conditions today was almost FLAT. This meant that THOUSANDS of boats (pleasure,fishing, diving, jetskis) were on the water today everywhere. It would be very rare not to see the person if he was floating on the surface. Most boats today are reporting an easy 1.5 knot north current, but there is a slight 8 degree thermocline at 80ft. Hope they find him on land and safe.

I'm in town at the moment. I heard the missing diver was off the Lady Luck wreck (300ft long and 135ft at sand there) and the missing diver was diving with a dive charter operator Sat morning. CCR. Solo and long run time planned.

I've been diving in the area all week and there has been a screaming current, as can happen here with Gulf Stream influence, with the last two days 2-3kt on bottom and more than that mid-water and at the surface. Vis has been 35ft in the warmer water above 80/90ft depth and a bit better vis in the cooler water below that. Unlike prior days, today there was almost no thermocline on the Miller Lite wreck (150ft deep at deck).

I'm in town at the moment. I heard the missing diver was off the Lady Luck wreck (300ft long and 135ft at sand there) and the missing diver was diving with a dive charter operator Sat morning. CCR. Solo and long run time planned.

I've been diving in the area all week and there has been a screaming current, as can happen here with Gulf Stream influence, with the last two days 2-3kt on bottom and more than that mid-water and at the surface. Vis has been 35ft in the warmer water above 80/90ft depth and a bit better vis in the cooler water below that. Unlike prior days, today there was almost no thermocline on the Miller Lite wreck (150ft deep at deck).
Does not sound good

CCR again...surprised anyone dives on these death traps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom