Coast Guard searching for missing Deerfield Beach diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCR again...surprised anyone dives on these death traps.
What an idiotic thing to say. Just shows your own ignorance / bias.

Well, the last CCR related death you may be referring to with your "again" nonsense turned out to be medical. So there's that. But there were legitimate concerns about split drops, so the discussion there was fruitful.

Here we have solo, which might also be a good topic for speculation for those who have familiarity with this wreck.

But how about you consider holding off on indiscriminate CCR-bashing until we know more. It just makes you look uninformed.

CCR again...surprised anyone dives on these death traps.
I felt that way back in the 1990's. As I looked into it with more interest and objectivity I came to the conclusion that rebreathers, just like guns have never killed anyone.

While I have no particular agenda on this I would be happy to talk to you and explain how I think people die on rebreathers. (aside from medical issues of course). As a hint it is, IMO complacency and not fully understanding how rebreathers work.

Does anyone know if they found the body? I can't find any information past the call off of the search.

Does anyone know if they found the body? I can't find any information past the call off of the search.

Heard locally that the diver got left behind by the boat and swam to shore. No other details, and I haven’t seen any news updates or official verification either. Anyone know which boat / operator?

Lance

Heard locally that the diver got left behind by the boat and swam to shore. No other details, and I haven’t seen any news updates or official verification either. Anyone know which boat / operator?

Lance
I don't think so if the Coasties continued the search for at least three days. And it was the charter boat that called them.
I'm in town at the moment. I heard the missing diver was off the Lady Luck wreck (300ft long and 135ft at sand there) and the missing diver was diving with a dive charter operator Sat morning. CCR. Solo and long run time planned.

Lance
I read that the operator was Aqualife Divers and that they were on the Lady Luck. That would be an extremely long swim to shore and I would think that would be reported in the news.

I read that the operator was Aqualife Divers and that they were on the Lady Luck. That would be an extremely long swim to shore and I would think that would be reported in the news.

This surprised me too, especially if it was from the Lady Luck to shore. Hearing the same thing about the diver swimming to the beach from multiple sources though.

Re: the news & official reports, that's apparently not too unusual. There was a dive fatality off Pompano a month or two ago that has gotten zero news reporting or official notification attention. We picked up the stranded divers from that boat and talked with the BSO deputy on scene, and there's been nothing reported to date from news or BSO.

Lance

There was a dive fatality off Pompano a month or two ago that has gotten zero news reporting or official notification attention.
...and I know that because I have searched for information about it. (Assuming we are talking about the same one--maybe we aren't.)

This past winter I did a 2-tank dive in which I joined a buddy team to make a threesome. I sat next to one of them on the boat, and we hit it off really well. A few days later I dived off the same boat, and the captain informed me that the man I had befriended on those dives had died on another dive later that day (not with them). I did a search and was able to find a little coverage (like two paragraphs) in an ethnic news source. (He was prominent in that community.) There was absolutely no coverage in any of the mainstream media.

So the lack of coverage in the South Florida media means nothing.

This surprised me too, especially if it was from the Lady Luck to shore. Hearing the same thing about the diver swimming to the beach from multiple sources though.

Re: the news & official reports, that's apparently not too unusual. There was a dive fatality off Pompano a month or two ago that has gotten zero news reporting or official notification attention. We picked up the stranded divers from that boat and talked with the BSO deputy on scene, and there's been nothing reported to date from news or BSO.

Lance
...and I know that because I have searched for information about it. (Assuming we are talking about the same one--maybe we aren't.)

This past winter I did a 2-tank dive in which I joined a buddy team to make a threesome. I sat next to one of them on the boat, and we hit it off really well. A few days later I dived off the same boat, and the captain informed me that the man I had befriended on those dives had died on another dive later that day (not with them). I did a search and was able to find a little coverage (like two paragraphs) in an ethnic news source. (He was prominent in that community.) There was absolutely no coverage in any of the mainstream media.

So the lack of coverage in the South Florida media means nothing.

Yeah getting official news is sometimes a crap shoot. I tend to hear things on boats when I am over there but it's not always solid info. People tend to tell what they remember or heard second hand themselves. Sometimes that is actually better than or more accurate than the official news media. I really hope that him swimming in is true, but if he did I am surprised that he didn't make a big stink about getting left I know I would.

On side note it may be awhile before I decide to dive the Lady Luck again, afraid I would have the thought of that incident in the back of my mind which wouldn't make for a pleasant dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom