Cobra 3 - 32% Nitrox with a 1.6 PPO2 setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am using my new Suunto Cobra 3 for the first time since taking the Nitrox class two months ago. I am getting prepared to do the Cayman aggressor soon. My question is doing this setting, am I causing harm to myself doing up to 5 dives a day and also what about me reaching my OLF 100%. I appreciate any help, I didnt know know to post this question.

Diving at a PPO2 of 1.6 for 5 dives certainly is'nt recommended but probably not as bad as it first souds - I guess you're diving using a single recreational so diving at 40m/130ft (1.6 PPO2) is going to give you just a few minutes non-deco bottom time, or relatively quick air consumption, and very little benefit in using Nitrox.

The good news on this is with the surface intervals thrown in I very much doubt if it is realistically possible to get anywhere near 100% OTUs unless you do some longer deco diving.

If you're planning on taking a few deeper multi-level dives hitting 1.6 PPO2 for a short time isn't too bad, I'd just recommend setting your limit to 1.4, especially if you are planning on multiple dives. A PPO2 of 1.6 is intended for relatively non-active decompression stops, normally 'active' (i.e. finning) diving is based on a PPO2 of 1.4.

There's plenty of information in various tables out there on Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity, try pre planning dives using these tables - I'm sure you'll find the 100% OTU figure very hard to achieve, it's normally a problem when divers breath high concentration Nitrox or pure Oxygen at relatively shallow depths on deco dives.

Hope that helps :)

Karl

Back
Top Bottom