Peregrine Nitrox setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be diving Nitrox on an upcoming trip, and it will be the first time with a Peregrine. My previous computer would stay set to the programmed % until the next day, when it would default to air. I have not been able to find anything about this in the Peregrine user manual, so am curious to know how it handles this.
Thanks,

Erik

All my other Shearwater models don't change the gas behind your back. I have no doubt the peregrine does the same. (ETA: It's also quite easy for you to confirm.)

Yea, I set it to 32% tonight. I’ll check it in a day or two.
Thanks for the input.

Does not change. With my Petrel which allows gas switching I would program three mixes, 21%, 32% and 36%. Made it easy to set the gas as needed. Once it was needed after I splashed. :D

I will be diving Nitrox on an upcoming trip, and it will be the first time with a Peregrine. My previous computer would stay set to the programmed % until the next day, when it would default to air. I have not been able to find anything about this in the Peregrine user manual, so am curious to know how it handles this.
Thanks,

Erik

Shearwater computers including the Peregrine don’t do that nonsense. They stay at what mix you set until you change it. Period.

Can confirm, my Peregrine is still on NX36, after a month out of the water 🥲

It will not default or change.

As a diver, using nitrox, I don't think it's the best idea to rely on defaults and auto changes.
Plan the dive, then dive the plan.

I may sound archaic but diving is one of those sports that requires regimented "pre-flight" checks.

As a diver, using nitrox, I don't think it's the best idea to rely on defaults and auto changes.

I may sound archaic but diving is one of those sports that requires regimented "pre-flight" checks.
It was more that I wanted to know if I would have to go into system setup each time, or if the define gas prompt would still be available the next day.

I don’t think anyone is “relying” on auto changes. They want to make sure there won’t be any. (Probably best to confirm things like that before buying though?)

I’ve had Suuntos forever that do that stupid thing, changing the Nitrox % on you after awhile. Along with a couple other stupid things probably in the name of conservatism. I don’t think there’s too many that do it but a few.

I don’t think anyone is “relying” on auto changes. They want to make sure there won’t be any.
And most importantly that there won't be an unexpected auto change. I recall reading here that some dive computers had a rather short revert back to air if a dive wasn't commenced. So, it was possible that they verify/update the mix, but maybe have a bit of a delay before splashing and find that it reverted back to air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom