Should I buy the Aqualung i470TC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you want is a Ratio iX3M Pro 2, it's an Air, Nitrox, Gauge, 3 mix computer with a rechargeable battery. If you want to upgrade to Trimix or CCR down the road, all you have to do is buy a software upgrade without having to buy a whole new computer and you can upgrade to air integration.
I think the Ratio computers are quite nice. One drawback is only GF presets and no custom GFs until the
tech+ model. I'm quite sure I could do fine with the presets

Is there any metric where the Peregrine beats the i470TC? If not, that's what "strictly worse" means
Peregrine has better display
Peregrine has better UI (you pointed out)
Peregrine has better Algorithm
Peregrine gives more data during dive (you pointed out)
Peregrine gives more data after dive (you pointed out)
Peregrine has better resale value
Peregrine has better reputation for service (battery replacement)

i470TC has AI

Yet i470TC is strictly better?

It depends on how you value each metric. If AI and Budget are the only dominant metrics, the i470TC is a better choice. Otherwise it gets more complicated.

What you want is a Ratio iX3M Pro 2
Thanks for the suggestion. I think the possibility of software upgrade down the line is interesting but it costs significantly more upfront as well for essentially the same features right?

Oceanic/Huish will replace the computer or the transmitter for a reasonable price once it is out of warranty.
That's cool. Aqualung sells battery replacement kits for very cheap and the procedure seems super simple so not sure I value this too much though

If you don't care about the deco algorithm, no reason you should not go with Aqua Lung
I absolutely care about the algorithm, I just think that a moderately conservative version of the best model is exactly what I want.

Ask yourself how important being able to switch to multiple gases might be for you. When do you anticipate doing that?

The obvious answer is if you are doing tech diving.
Basically, I can see many theoretical reasons for switching oxygen percentage (100% oxygen to deco faster, nitrox to air or lower oxygen nitrox for the deepest part of the dive...). Anything more than that involves helium which is crazy expensive and I just can't see myself getting into that. A watch that can handle helium-less tech diving seems like the right amount of headroom to grow into

Peregrine has better display
Peregrine has better UI (you pointed out)
Peregrine has better Algorithm
Peregrine gives more data during dive (you pointed out)
Peregrine gives more data after dive (you pointed out)
Peregrine has better resale value
Peregrine has better reputation for service (battery replacement)
Display yes.

UI I'm not sure about, hence me asking. I wonder whether it's actually fine once you're used to it despite the initial impression from just looking at the manual.

Algorithm is better in that you can change the gf, other than that it's the same right? If I would have set the Peregrine to a moderately conservative factor, would have any advantage?

Data, during the dive, is there anything else than the tissue loading and depth graph? After the dive, what's the difference? I somehow assumed you'd export the file with raw data into 3rd party software and get exactly the same

Appreciate the reputation, I'm just confused why it's on such a high pedestal given it seems a slightly nicer UI but with a big problem compared to similar priced products (lack of AI). If I remove the AI, then it's actually competing with aqualung 300 series which is even cheaper no?

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the possibility of software upgrade down the line is interesting but it costs significantly more upfront as well for essentially the same features right?
The iX3M Pro 2 is at the same level as the Perdix 2 but is a fair bit cheaper. They both cost more than a peregrine but both have the option to upgrade to air integration but only the iX3M has the option to upgrade the software to Trimix & CCR without buying a new computer.

The iX3M Pro 2 is at the same level as the Perdix 2 but is a fair bit cheaper. They both cost more than a peregrine but both have the option to upgrade to air integration but only the iX3M has the option to upgrade the software to Trimix & CCR without buying a new computer.
Actually, the Perdix2 comes with Trimix & CCR by default, no upgrade needed. Once you upgrade the iX3M to the same level, the price is essentially the same.

The big advantages of the iX3M is the O2 analyzer, and you can save ~$300 now if you postpone buying the tech Trimix & CCR features till later (but will cost ~$400 to upgrade).

The big advantages of the Perdix is a more polished mature product, uses industry standard AI transmitters, and customer service.

Display yes.

UI I'm not sure about ...
But in OP, you said it was.

Algorithm is better in that you can change the gf, other than that it's the same right? If I would have set the Peregrine to a moderately conservative factor, would have any advantage?
Not the same. With the Peregrine you have the actual algorithm publicly documented. With the i470TC you have proprietary changes. And being able to change the GFs is a big advantage.

Data, during the dive, is there anything else than the tissue loading and depth graph? After the dive, what's the difference? I somehow assumed you'd export the file with raw data into 3rd party software and get exactly the same
I'm a big nerd I'd like to get as much data as possible even if it's not really needed.
Those two quotes are inconsistent.

Appreciate the reputation, I'm just confused why it's on such a high pedestal given...
It seems like you have formed your opinion, and came here to get it confirmed, not to actually get other's opinions. It isn't about being on a pedestal. Each computer has real advantages and disadvantages. But for the priorities listed BY YOU (and the most common for most divers, as well) the Peregrine is the easy winner between those 2.

There are good reasons to buy either the i470TC or the Peregrine. Neither is strickly better, it depends on the features you put weight on.

In the OP you said AI was not as important, in which case the Peregrine wins.

If AI is more important than the other things you listed, the i470TC wins.

If all of them plus AI are important, up your budget and look at the Perdix-2 or iX3M-2. If you don't want tech features, or want to upgrade to them later, the iX3M-2 wins on initial price.

Basically, I can see many theoretical reasons for switching oxygen percentage (100% oxygen to deco faster, nitrox to air or lower oxygen nitrox for the deepest part of the dive...). Anything more than that involves helium which is crazy expensive and I just can't see myself getting into that. A watch that can handle helium-less tech diving seems like the right amount of headroom to grow into
Right. Tech diving. Like I said. Will you be doing that soon?

Not yet mentioned, but I see the Aqualung will lock you out if you make it unhappy, which the Peregrine will not.

Reactions: L13
It seems like you have formed your opinion, and came here to get it confirmed, not to actually get other's opinions
Sorry if I came across this way. I had formed a pretty good opinion, hence the title of the thread, but I am actually changing my mind

Right. Tech diving. Like I said. Will you be doing that soon?
Likely not, but as I said I want something I can grow into

Not yet mentioned, but I see the Aqualung will lock you out if you make it unhappy, which the Peregrine will not.
Now that makes me angry just thinking about it. Does the iX3M Pro 2 do that too?

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom