Should I buy the Aqualung i470TC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctopusLover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've started diving very recently and I'm buying my first pieces of kit. I'm looking at buying my first diving computer.

1. 500$ budget
  2. I want the computer to support basic gas switching to have headroom to grow. I'm pretty sure I'll never use trimix but would like support for switching air - nitrox- oxygen
  3. I'm a big nerd I'd like to get as much data as possible even if it's not really needed.
  4. Similarly, I'd like to be able to upload that data into a cloud service, ideally with as little steps as possible.
  5. Looks are secondary. I don't intend to wear the dive computer when not diving.
  6. I'm the type to read the manual in detail so I'm happy with something being complex, but I detest "bad UI" if I can avoid it.
  7. ZHL-16 algorithm but not fussed about specific implementation (PZ+ is fine, no Suunto pls)
  8. Readability is not super important, I have good eyesight
  9. Air integration is not something I'm looking to get immediately, but might be a nice upgrade down the line.
  10. I like to own things long term and maintain them. I don't want something with a lithium battery that can't be replaced 5 years down the line.

With all of these considerations, the i470TC seems like the clear winner, with the Shearwater Peregrine a close second. I think the peregrine looks nicer and the UI seems a lot more well thought out. I like the graphs it shows and the tissue saturation stuff. However, it has no air integration and not sure what replacing the battery looks like.

What am I missing? The Peregrine seems almost universally recommended at this price range, yet it seems to be a strictly worse version of the i470TC?

Screen/UI vs AI basically.

Replacing the Peregrine battery is a mail-in to a Shearwater service center, back in a week or so.

What am I missing? The Peregrine seems almost universally recommended at this price range, yet it seems to be a strictly worse version of the i470TC?
What am I missing? I don't know of a single metric where the i470TC beats the Peregrine other than AI.

What am I missing? I don't know of a single metric where the i470TC beats the Peregrine other than AI.
Is there any metric where the Peregrine beats the i470TC? If not, that's what "strictly worse" means

Screen/UI vs AI basically.

Replacing the Peregrine battery is a mail-in to a Shearwater service center, back in a week or so.
What does that battery change cost? I have only seen the i470TC UI from reading the manual and it does seem a bit clunky, same as the screenshots I've managed to find of the software / mobile app. Is it really that bad or just a case of reading the manual thoroughly?

I might suggest the Oceanic Geo Air. It can be either AI or not and without the transmitter but the price is a little above your budget at $550. It runs a dual algorithm...PZ+, which is mid-conservatism like the Aqualung, and the more liberal DSAT algorithm. If you decide to later on go AI (highly recommend) just get a transmitter. It uses the same one as SW, AL, and Sherwood. The battery is user changeable.

With the i470TC you must accept the PZ+ deco algorithm a moderate, middle of the rode algorithm, perhaps similar to a GF high of 85. The Oceanic Geo Air is the same price and offers DSAT in addition to PZ+, more like a GF high of 95. The Geo Air can come with a bundled transmitter for $800, a $150 savings on the transmitter. No real choice in my mind.

I might suggest the Oceanic Geo Air
Can't seem to find it in the UK, however are there any advantages beyond the inclusion of DSAT? A moderately conservative algorithm is perfectly fine for me, I would probably have set the Peregrine on a similar setting anyway.

What you want is a Ratio iX3M Pro 2, it's an Air, Nitrox, Gauge, 3 mix computer with a rechargeable battery. If you want to upgrade to Trimix or CCR down the road, all you have to do is buy a software upgrade without having to buy a whole new computer and you can upgrade to air integration.

Can't seem to find it in the UK, however are there any advantages beyond the inclusion of DSAT? A moderately conservative algorithm is perfectly fine for me, I would probably have set the Peregrine on a similar setting anyway.
Oceanic/Huish will replace the computer or the transmitter for a reasonable price once it is out of warranty. I have used this several times for quite old Oceanic products like 10+ year old Pro Plus 2 computers. I have replaced two very used transmitters between 2010 and now. I don't think any other PPS company or Shearwater has a program like this. Oceanic Services - Oceanic Worldwide

If you don't care about the deco algorithm, no reason you should not go with Aqua Lung. For many divers, the deco algorithm makes no difference at all, in fact, they don't even know that there are different deco algorithms. Several times every year, I point out that a diver's computer is not working correctly because it in violation gauge mode after violating a decompression stop.

Ask yourself how important being able to switch to multiple gases might be for you. When do you anticipate doing that?

The obvious answer is if you are doing tech diving. By the time you are ready for that, your computer needs will be different, and the computers available to fill those needs might be different. If you are thinking that you might be doing that sooner rather than later, then start looking for the computer you will want to keep now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom