Cobra vs. Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnallen

Registered
Reaction score
I know technology make life easier - plus it's just plain fun. I'm considering a dive computer, but need some input/advice on what is "neat" vs. "useful". My dive experience is average... I'm not a technical diver, but learning.

Any concensus on which comp. is more worth the money?... considering the situation.

Well, the Cobra does a few things the Gekko doesn't, but the biggest difference is that the Cobra is air integrated. That's a pretty fundamental decision, if you want that or not.

JNALLEN,

Damselfish is right, but let me expand on it just a little bit.

The Gekko is a very nice, basic computer... for a Sunnto. It still has a lot of features. The Viper is rather a premier unit except for wireless air-integrated models. (BTW, just to make sure you know, "air integrated" means that the computer monitors your tank pressure. Most computers aren't air integrated but this is changing as they become more reliable and affordable.)

Here are some differences to consider.

1. Gekko has no active backlight, you make it glow with a flashlight. Viper has a "real" backlight (like Indiglow watches.)

2. Gekko is cheaper. Viper has more gosh-wow factor.

3. Gekko can't upload dive info to your home computer, the Viper can do this. This is a cool/fun way to log your dives, but not at all a necessary thing.

4. Viper shows tank pressure, so no need to buy a separate gauge like with Gekko.

5. Viper can warn you of low tank pressure, Gekko can't. Viper can also tell you how long you can keep diving based on your current air comsumption - a thing that only air integrated computers are capable of.

6. Viper has "dive simulate" mode, Gekko only has "Plan" mode. Simulate mode is more detailed, and you can learn what the computer wants you to do and how the deco/no-deco times change as you pretend to be diving it.

7. Both are Nitrox capable, reliable, and safe computers. You would be well served with either one. If the money isn't a big issue I would get the Viper. It's a sweet little package and does have capabilities that the Gekko lacks.

I love my Cobra for the air integration & the download capability. Thought about the Gekko for a backup.

After many years of looking I just purchased a "AERIS ATMOS ai" from my local shop .... it has a large easy to read display and is simple to use as compared to other computers I looked at. There is a neat interactive demo of this computer at www.diveaeris.com ...... go to the gauges/computers and then pick the Atmos ai .... go to demo and you can use your mouse to play with the buttons on the unit to see how the computer works ........

MrConclusion:
JNALLEN,

Damselfish is right, but let me expand on it just a little bit.

The Gekko is a very nice, basic computer... for a Sunnto. It still has a lot of features. The Viper is rather a premier unit except for wireless air-integrated models. (BTW, just to make sure you know, "air integrated" means that the computer monitors your tank pressure. Most computers aren't air integrated but this is changing as they become more reliable and affordable.)

Here are some differences to consider.

1. Gekko has no active backlight, you make it glow with a flashlight. Viper has a "real" backlight (like Indiglow watches.)

2. Gekko is cheaper. Viper has more gosh-wow factor.

3. Gekko can't upload dive info to your home computer, the Viper can do this. This is a cool/fun way to log your dives, but not at all a necessary thing.

4. Viper shows tank pressure, so no need to buy a separate gauge like with Gekko.

5. Viper can warn you of low tank pressure, Gekko can't. Viper can also tell you how long you can keep diving based on your current air comsumption - a thing that only air integrated computers are capable of.

6. Viper has "dive simulate" mode, Gekko only has "Plan" mode. Simulate mode is more detailed, and you can learn what the computer wants you to do and how the deco/no-deco times change as you pretend to be diving it.

7. Both are Nitrox capable, reliable, and safe computers. You would be well served with either one. If the money isn't a big issue I would get the Viper. It's a sweet little package and does have capabilities that the Gekko lacks.

I'm gonna assume you were talking about the cobra and not the viper, because the viper is not air intergrated.

Aqualung.com has a great instant rebate on the Cobra and the Vytec right now. $200 and $300 off instantly with trade-in (working or not) or a class. Sure puts the Cobra into a really nice price range!

FLY N DIVE:

Thanks for pointing that out - you are correct. I read the question and was thinking "Cobra" but I kept typing "Viper." Please imagine that I wrote "Cobra" numerous times In my above message, as I can't edit it now.

yea i was reading it and it sounded a lot like my cobra, just thought i'd make it a little more clear

I have lots of computers. I love my cobra. I also love my smartcom. Both air intergrated and that's a nice thing to have. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom