Cockroach of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used one of my r-series regs for Rob's class. I have it stable and cracking sub1". Yeah, sometimes there is joy in the simple things...

Cool, let me know the postage cost at least.
It's on the way, had an old cover sitting around for years so I just threw the whole thing in a mailer. Shipping cost is not enough to matter.

It's on the way, had an old cover sitting around for years so I just threw the whole thing in a mailer. Shipping cost is not enough to matter.
Thank you Dustin!

That dry bleed first stage was actually a great idea. Improper, poor, or no servicing kills them. Yes, on a deco bottle (and a pony), they are a bad idea.

No service is better than improper or poor service. I use my old 1980 Magnum on my pony because of its reliability over decades of use, after buying another Sherwood.

I
That dry bleed first stage was actually a great idea. Improper, poor, or no servicing kills them. Yes, on a deco bottle (and a pony), they are a bad idea.
I used one on a pony for a long time. Why are they bad for that application; because of the bleed rate?

Why are they bad for that application; because of the bleed rate?
So a deco bottle, shut off will bleed down and then get water in the stage. If left charged, there is a loss of gas. Maybe minor, but I personally don't like that idea of a critical item not operating optimally..

On a pony, it also needs to remain charged or it floods. The small amount, likely trivial, but again, why do you have a safety device performing sub-optimally?

I do like them as a primary regulator (though I am biased as they were made here...)

So a deco bottle, shut off will bleed down and then get water in the stage. If left charged, there is a loss of gas. Maybe minor, but I personally don't like that idea of a critical item not operating optimally..

On a pony, it also needs to remain charged or it floods. The small amount, likely trivial, but again, why do you have a safety device performing sub-optimally?

I do like them as a primary regulator (though I am biased as they were made here...)
Why have a sub optimal pony first stage? A: because the sherwood is cheap, robust and the leak is trivial.

I have generally used MK-2 or sherwood brute for pony and both have perfomed very well for me.

One advantage of the sherwood is that I can open it up with an adjustable wrench - nice if you have no real scuba tools. LOL.

OT: Just out of curiosity, shouldn't all regs be able to last forever assuming proper maintenance and service kit availability?
Forever is a long time, it might not even exist. Do all things really come to an end? And if they do, will it be like the Sopranos or like Breaking Bad?

I'm fairly sure my MK2 hasn't been serviced since 2003, and it works perfectly. It does have an easy life, basically filling tires and blowing compressed air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom