Cockroach of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OT: Just out of curiosity, shouldn't all regs be able to last forever assuming proper maintenance and service kit availability? Are there examples of regs that haven't stood the test of time?
The point is it takes almost no maintenance, I’ve bought these corroded and neglected having no maintenance for years, hook it up and it works.

@lexvil With it being such a simple reg to service, how does it compare performance wise with some of the others you dive?
With a good second stage one is unlikely to ever notice a difference.

For recreational diving, I'd doubt there would be much difference detected from other first stages.

The point is it takes almost no maintenance, I’ve bought these corroded and neglected having no maintenance for years, hook it up and it works.
Not to be a contrarian (oh come on Kosta, that's your favorite hobby), but it seems like you did a fair bit. The ultrasonic does the majority of the cleaning. O-rings of course need to be replaced, but a number of parts should be reusable. I do get that some regs have cheap parts that won't last and need to be replaced, but I think most of the top and mid tier offerings tend to provide good internal parts.

It would be interesting to do abuse cycles (like leaving in salt water, taking out to let dry for a bit). And after some number of cycles, do a comparison of performance before and after.

OT: Just out of curiosity, shouldn't all regs be able to last forever assuming proper maintenance and service kit availability? Are there examples of regs that haven't stood the test of time?
Ideally, yes.

When I first began diving, there had been a real "one and done" approach to buying a regulator -- much like those who first took up skiing in the 1970s. I knew of no one who thought of buying or disposing of regulators on some annual or even biannual basis, like some today, in response to some new purported bells and whistles.

I was a kid in school and couldn't afford that.

Provided that they are well maintained (if at all) -- and, especially, sealing surfaces are not allowed to corrode, they can last decades; and I still have my very first regulator, a Cyklon 300, which dates from the late 1970s, which still functions perfectly and for which service kits are still available -- forty-six years later . . .

yours is close to 60 years old I think.
I had a gen1 schematic somewhere which had the year on it. Can't locate it right now.

With the ScubaPro regulator timeline gone, it is harder to date these toys....

Back
Top Bottom