Coco Cay, Bahamas port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've looked through all the pages of posts for this forum, and haven't seen any mention of Coco Cay. We're going on a Royal Carib. cruise that will spend a day at the RCL's small private island, Coco Cay. Has anyone been there, and is there any diving? The reviews that I have found only mention the snorkeling.

We'll also be in Naussau for a day of diving. Feel free to post your best recommendations as far as dive ops, etc. Thanks so much!

Foo

I was at coco cay about 2 years ago and the diving is fine there. It is a great port for family fun also. Parasailing is also great. While snorkeling I saw a 12 ft. black tip swimming about 3 ft. from the small airplane at about 20 FSW. It is a fun day!

Tom

Bride and I went snorkeling on coco cay. a bit crowded and trampled in the shallows, but lots of fish none the less. Also free-dove to 35 feet as there were 3-4 rays cruising there. Set up diving day through RC. Took a very interesting and rough 5 mile ride to Nasau scuba center (about 2 miles away) on a bus that lost one of the duals (tires) on the back. Driver never said a thing. First dive we swam over a reef at 45 feet and decended to 80 over the wall to line up with dozens of black tips, then finned by the shark feeder ( in chain mail suit) at 40 ' feeding the locals. Dive 2 was 45fsw max, but coral rising 10 feet off the botom, with volcano coral large enough to hold a couple yellow snappers at a time (I think that's what they were).
Amazing place to dive. Next time I'm staying lots longer! Enjoy! BTW. carrying gear back to the boat is terrible there......

Then when I rinsed my gear, I took the weights out of my BC.

The bus lost a wheel. Not surprising as our trip in the SDC bus was also a great adventure with the driver jumping out of the frt seat thinking something ran across his feet , a rat is what he thought it was,never stopping the bus.The dives were great so thats all that mattered to me.Carrying gear was a bear , but after seeing rental gear I didnt mind so much.I was just there Oct. 23rd.

So, Rad- You actually dove in Coco Cay? Is it all shore diving, or are there boats that go out? And hopefully, there is a dive shop on premises for renting tanks? I tried looking at cruise reviews, and the comments on there seemed to be that the snorkeling was great, but no mention of SCUBA. I appreciate all of you for your help!

Foo

I did the "dive" at CoCo Cay. It's pretty basic, they ferry you to the island from the ship. Gear up and walk in. Surface swim too a bouy that marks the reef. Pretty good dive AFTER you get under. No stress - except for the surface swim... saw some beautiful ccoral, fish then in comes about a 1/2 dozen HUGE rays...followed each other in a line right in front of us. Saw a small octopus, lotsa parrot fish. Average depth was 30 - 40 ft ( I think). The snorkeling area has an airplane and some fake cannons - pretty neat. Lotsa other stuff to do on the island, nice beach and the "CoCo Loco's" will sneak up on you....

OOPS! They have all the gear you need there, shorty, vest, weight belt, fins., tank , reg...all you really need is your C card - I did take my own mask. My C card was from the early 70's - they had some fun with that....

Cool! Glad to hear there's actually SCUBA there. I suppose we carry our roller bags with our gear on the ferry? We really would rather use our own gear, have taken it on a cruise before. It's kind of a pain in the room, but we found a wetsuit dryer on Ebay that works great and used it in our stateroom. Thanks so much for the responses!

Foo

I'm sure it'll be okay to carry your bags, lotsa room The ferry boats are pretty big, I went on the 7 AM dive and it wasn't crowded at all....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom