CoCo View or Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chebel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some information on places to stay for a dive trip to Roatan. We've pretty much narrowed it to CoCO View and Fantasy Island. Can anyone compare the two?

I presume you've run Searches on both and have reviewed reports on each...? If you haven't, that'd be a good place to start.

"RoatanMan" stongly prefers CCV, and he is almost a local from his many years of diving and visiting there. He knows both resorts well, the owners, employees, and day workers, politics & gossip, history, etc. I respect his views and all, but some of his feelings have little to do with my feelings - as a tourist divers, just there to enjoy a week of diving.

SB Moderator "Dee" also strongly prefers CCV, and her reasons might be more important to another tourist diver.

I've been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort (FIBR) twice, week long trips 2 years apart, and when I go back - I'll choose FIBR in a heartbeat. Really, they're both great resorts with great diving, on the south side of the island across the channel from each other. You can snorkel from one to another for a visit, and you used to be able to charge drinks at one bar to your room at the other resort; may still be able to...?

Some of the things I prefer FIBR over CCV
  • Cable TV, Phones, Air Conditioning in rooms. These become even more important if you have a sick day in your room, which happens.
  • Personal Flotation Devices, or life preservers, on the Dive Boats. There's always that tiny risk of a sinking, and BCs are not to be considered PFDs, but only FIBR of the 2 bothers to carry them.
  • And I like Robert & Willy - the boat crew for my first visit, then the Dive Shop managers for my second.

You'll be happy with either, though, if you are prepared for a "Banana Republic Resort," as these are not the same as US resorts, but they are both wonderful for the money, and the diving is mind boggling.

Have a wonderful trip...!!:D

chebel:
I'm trying to get some information on places to stay for a dive trip to Roatan. We've pretty much narrowed it to CoCO View and Fantasy Island. Can anyone compare the two?

If for only one reason the shore diving there is great and eaiser to get to than FI. We are going again in July and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Do a search on this board to compare the two.

They also have air conditioned rooms.

parrotheaddiver:
They (CCV) also have air conditioned rooms.

I wasn't aware of that. All of them, or a few available on request...?

They have 1 building (looks like a very small motel) that has air conditioned rooms. All the cabana type rooms built out over the water are strictly "breeze cooled." I've been to CCV twice and never had an issue with heat, but then I've never been there in the summer.

Gee...where to start! First let me say I have only visited FIBR and dived their so called beach dives, not stayed there overnight.Yes, they can dive the same basic shore sites but it's not as easy to so as it is from CCV. The resort is too 'touristy' for my tastes but if you like that, and require entertainment at night, then FIBR may be the best place for you.
However if you want a place that is dedicated TO divers, built by divers FOR divers, then CCV is it. I prefer the rustic feel of CCV and being treated as a responsible adult. CCV is an adult resort, not open to small children.

Easy walk into the water shore diving available literally 24/7, starting in a lagoon covered in turtles grass and small coral heads that serves as a nursery for every thing. A shipwreck, remains of a plainwreck, and 2 vertical walls, all within minutes of the resort is a huge reason we love it.

There are currently 8 (I think) A/C cabanas but more are being built. There's internet access in all the rooms now but no phone or TV. Mr. Bill says that will not change! The cabanas and bungalows that sit over the water do not need A/C. it stays cool. BTW...no one was sick and needing to stay in their room the week we were there.

I could go on but, as has already been mentioned, do a search for CCV and you'll read some of my past reports and discussions.

Dee thanks for the more detailed description. I didn't have time yesterday to go in to more. Doc usually is the one that can give the more convincing take on CoCo View....sigh...but since he is down there enjoying himself I guess we will have to wait until he phones home lol. :wink:

Don, yes you do have to request these rooms. Most people enjoy the breezes in the cabanas which are enough. I have never heard anyone complain about it being too hot w/ ceiling fans and cross ventilation it is very cool. Very lulling to go to sleep listening to the breeze blowing through the palms.

parrotheaddiver:
Dee thanks for the more detailed description. I didn't have time yesterday to go in to more. Doc usually is the one that can give the more convincing take on CoCo View....sigh...but since he is down there enjoying himself I guess we will have to wait until he phones home lol. :wink:

Don, yes you do have to request these rooms. Most people enjoy the breezes in the cabanas which are enough. I have never heard anyone complain about it being too hot w/ ceiling fans and cross ventilation it is very cool. Very lulling to go to sleep listening to the breeze blowing through the palms.

Standby one... see new thread: SURVIVOR ROATAN...

CCV has 10 AC rooms, never used them myself and I am known to sweat while ice diving.

undefinedI must say, I'm always a little puzzled by the fact that people seem not to consider the Inn of Last Resort when pondering which of the giant resorts to patronize on Roatan. It is fabulously beautiful, the folks who run it are friendly, it is a great deal, the rooms are comfortable, the food good, the setting great. I recall coming around a bend on the reef with my 7 or 8 fellow divers from Inn of Last Resort, and encountering a wall of bubbling humans from Anthony's or CoCo View or who knows where. We were a nice, modest group from a great resort, confronted with the masses from the hotter spots. I was happy to swim past them, and glad that we only saw them every couple of days.

The bottom line is simply this: the reef at Roatan is great. You can get there from any resort or dive operator. If you're interested in a pleasant place to stay with a manageable number of fellow divers, thing about going somewhere besides the big resorts. The Inn of Last Resort is a pretty nice example of these.

I would suggest CoCoView, I was there in March and it was great. It is a dive resort. Nothing fancy, but lots of good diving. I had 14 hours 3 minutes of bottom time during my stay there. It's like going to Canada to a fish resort, you fish. You go to CoCoView to dive, not lay on the beach. If you are taking a non diver with you, you might be better off going to Fantasy Island. There is a beach and there might be some activities for them. At CoCoView if they aren't diving, they had better like to read. There isn't much else to do and everybody staying there is out on the boats.

Back
Top Bottom