CoCoView: A SCUBA legend retires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
All things change in time....

“Say Goodbye, Roatán.”
CoCo View Resort Under New Ownership

6/25/2004

For immediate publication:

Roatán, Honduras Bay Islands

After more than 22 years of hands-on management, the couple that founded one the Caribbean’s most beloved scuba diving resorts has sold their Honduras Bay Islands property and retired to Ft. Myers, Florida.

Bill and Evelyn Evans first showed up in Roatán aboard their 33ft sloop, Karma, in 1980 and after getting their feet wet operating a sailboat charter and a brief live-aboard dive boat venture, Bill announced that he was going to build the, “best damn dive resort in the Caribbean.” The result, CoCo View Resort, opened in October of 1982 and has been operating with a loyal following, and a nearly full house, ever since.

Besides locating the resort perfectly for 24 hour a day shore diving – inside a protected natural channel between two 100 foot barrier reef walls – Bill’s genius at work-flow engineering created a dive operation that is a much imitated model of ease and efficiency. His dive boats incorporate the industry’s only “moon hatch,” a mid-ship entry that allows divers to board straight up through the keel thereby avoiding banging platforms and ladders regardless of sea conditions. CoCo View pioneered the dive site mooring system that now protects the Roatàn’s reefs from anchor damage, and the “no gloves” policy that has been helping to protect underwater flora and fauna from accidental damage for nearly two decades is now being implemented in dive destinations worldwide.

While Bill’s vision, foresight, and no nonsense approach was able to carve a vacation paradise out of a Central American jungle, no one doubts that at least half of CoCo View’s success was due to the steady and reliable, “Miss Evelyn,” who not only worked side by side with her husband, but often worked behind him managing the pieces that made CoCo View work. Several generations of staff consider Miss Evelyn a second mother and will sorely miss her help in educating their children and grandchildren. Shopkeepers, businessmen, politicians, other resort owners, and perhaps most dearly to Evelyn herself, the island orphanage, are going to miss this very great lady.

CoCo View Resort’s new owners, Carl and Elizabeth Midkiff from Huntington West Virginia, are veterans in the hotel and hospitality business and admit that the decision to buy was instantaneous.

“CoCo View is perfect,” Carl says. “The setting is perfect, the reefs and snorkeling is the best anywhere. The whole atmosphere says ‘CoCo View.’ There is nothing to change.” So while no major staff, operational, or construction changes are in the works, Carl will make some upgrades in the area of his expertise: guest services. For example, he’d like to make it effortless for guests to cross the lagoon for day trips and sightseeing or have nights out without worrying about missing the last boat home. A small beach and swimming area on Hawksbill Cay is being considered. By adding air conditioners to the four over-water bungalows, guests will have one more room option, and a wide screen satellite television in the upstairs lounge will let sport fans follow their team. He’d also like to let a few folks know that you don’t have to be a hard core 5 tank a day diver to enjoy a CoCo View vacation. “I’m astonished that snorkelers have not discovered CoCo View,” he says. The most extensive and magnificent aquarium I’ve ever seen is right out the front door.”

---------------------------------------------------------

The genius of this man and the vision shared by his wife is simply a "once in a great while thing".

His life's creation makes that obvious.

Have a great retirement, Bill and Ev... but I gotta ask... what's the next project?

All i can do is totally agree with Roatan Man and say that Mr Bill will be missed if it wasnt for him there may not be diving in the Bay Islands, best wishes and happy retirement to Mr Bill

I hope that Carl and Elizabeth will carry on the "welcome home" feel that Mr Bill and Miss Ev have given us over the years.

I feel a bond with the type of divers this place attracts, it's like we know what others do not. A special place indeed.

Mr Bill and Miss Ev will be missed as the "mom" and "pop" they are to everyone. Fair winds and full sails to them. :07:

Thanks for the home away from home, Mr. Bill and Miss Ev.........you'll be missed.

Dee:
Thanks for the home away from home, Mr. Bill and Miss Ev.........you'll be missed.
Did Bill keep his house down on the end? And I like the talk about being able to get to the mainland with less hassle, that was the main thing I disliked about CCV. I could eat at GIO'S every other night if this happens.

Hi all

I sympathise, i have a resort on Utila and if it wasnt for Mr Bill and his wife there may not have been diving in the Bay Islands, i aspire to have the reputation that he created for his business and the following of divers he had, i know Mr Bill quite well i have done business with him i have bought boats from him, and as far as i am concerned you could not meet a nicer more honest man......this was reflected in his business ....a resort built for divers, supplying the needs of divers ...what more could people want, he gave divers what they wanted.

Just a personal message Mr Bill you will be missed you have many friends on here and worldwide, they will miss you, but we do wish all the best to the new owners.

sniff....bye Mr. Bill
and...
Hello! Carl and Elizabeth! See ya in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom