Coins used as weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I quite like the idea of lead shot in bags rather than solid weights. Now thats potentially taking trim to the ultimate degree.
"ohh no my dear I need to weigh out 3 ounces less lead"

Only problem with lead shot in bags is that there's more lead leaching into the water. Ever notice what happens to soft weights over time? Set 'em in a bucket, wet, and when they dry out there'll be a gray scum in the bottom of the bucket. Guess what that is?

Hard weights will also leach (except for the plastic coated ones) ... but with less overall surface area, the amount of leaching is quite reduced.

Oh, and it's much easier fitting a 5-lb hard weight into a trim pocket than a 5-lb soft weight ... lead shot in bags is just bulkier ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I remember back in the 80's my little brother had a BCD that had some sort of hollow back plate, that was filled with a mixture of lead shot, and glass beads. (I think that was what it was anyway)
I remember, to dump weight he would pull a pin at the bottom of the plate, and everything would dump out. I am sure it would not be considered environmentally friendly these days.

I will have to ask him about that BCD, as it has been a long time since I saw him using it, and I am sure he long ago retired it.

I remember back in the 80's my little brother had a BCD that had some sort of hollow back plate, that was filled with a mixture of lead shot, and glass beads. (I think that was what it was anyway)
I remember, to dump weight he would pull a pin at the bottom of the plate, and everything would dump out. I am sure it would not be considered environmentally friendly these days.

I will have to ask him about that BCD, as it has been a long time since I saw him using it, and I am sure he long ago retired it.

Wasn't that the Atpac? It was before my time, but my understanding from reading about them was that there was a problem with the lead shot fusing together over time, making it difficult to dump in an emergency ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wasn't that the Atpac? It was before my time, but my understanding from reading about them was that there was a problem with the lead shot fusing together over time, making it difficult to dump in an emergency ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You could very well be right. It has been a long time. I was really not focused on my brother's gear, as I was on the overall concept, and the various configurations being offered.
I do remember that there were some issues with the system, but at the time I was in NY and he was in CA, and we only dived together once back then.

I was too focused on the whole "new" BCD thing when I went out to CA to dive with him, then, (and I became even more focused on how my first time in one it attempted to off me) to pay a lot of attention to the brand he had. :shakehead:
At the time the entire concept of on board buoyancy control was totally novel to me. I should have retrained, before attempting to use such a radical new piece of gear.

I will ask Dale about that BCD when I get the chance. Fusing of the lead shot sure sounds familiar to me, now that you mention it.

Last edited:

When I was first taking my OW class and looking around for used gear to buy this couple in Tucson were trying to get rid of a lot of "vintage" gear from the late 70s through the late 80s era. Several of their BCs were that style of rear inflate with the "dump string" for lack of a better term for it. Definitely didn't feel like loose shot any more when I picked the thing up.

I did the math on this once. The approximate difference is about 7% for iron. ...
You're right. I was looking at volume!
With some stainless, it can be as low as a 4% difference in weight.
I sorry. thank you for correcting me.

It's when using sand or rock that it can be around 30+ percent by weight. (and multiples by volume)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are correct about the shot fusing. Dale says that his was a ScubaPro, but he would have to dig around to locate it, to say what model it was/is. He never got rid of it, so it is stored somewhere with the rest of his un used old gear.

He told me that you were not supposed to store the BC with the lead shot in it, but empty it out and rinse and dry it all. Most divers did not do this, which is why the lead would fuse over time. The glass marbles, were to fill the space, so the shot load did not shift. They retired the shot/bead mixture, and simply used it with a weight belt about the time his wife started diving in it at the end of the 80's.

Somewhere he still has that classic BC, but by now it probable will no longer hold air. The family recently got back into diving, but he never bothered pulling the real old stuff, beyond his steel 72/J valves and his reg out of storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom