Cold/warm water reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rap, he was looking for recommendations around the $300 range, a DS-IV at $469 is substantially above that range.

Another solid performing cold water regulator for less than $300 would be a Scubapro Mk 16 R390. It is a very reliable cold weater regulator. I know several divers in the area who use it in cold water included some who ice dive with it including a couple of dive rescue teams.

Scubapro discontinued the Mk 16 last summer when the Mk 17 was released. This allows US Scubapro dealers to sell the Mk 16 outside of the normal price restrictions, so you may be able to find one at a very good price.

Scubapro is extremely good about continuing parts support, service and upgrades for discontiuned regs for decades so don't let the "discontinued" part scare you off. However, if the dealer wants full price for the Mk 16, go with the Mk 17 as the fully sealed design and other improvements are worth the slight increase in price.

One more option:

The Tusa RS-460 is virtually identical to the Scubapro Mk 16 R390 with only minor cosmetic changes. Tabata manufactures Scubapro designs and sells their own rebranded versions through TUSA once Scubapro's exclusive rights expire. So it is also another very good cold water regulator option in the $300 range (at around $320.) Like the Zeagle DS-IV and Scubapro Mk 16, it was also a "testers choice".

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/2/

What do you expect for $300? 1st stage + primary second only? Octo? Gauges? Take a look at the Aqualung Titan with an enviromental kit. Vey solid performer for the money, also very easily serviced. Incidently, to a previous post- Apeks regs are not manufactured by Aqualung, just exclusively distributed by them in the US (meaning sma e purchasing restrictions as any Aqualung product).

DA Aquamaster:
Rap, he was looking for recommendations around the $300 range, a DS-IV at $469 is substantially above that range.
Sorry about the price thing. I know the M.S.R.P. is out of his range but we have the ZEAGLE ZX/DS V in our store at $339.95: http://www.rapidiverstore.com/ which is closer to his price range

Rap

Thanks for the info. I'll check into the regs you guys suggested. I was bidding on bc's the last couple days and neglected the thread. Decisions...Decisions.
Aaron

yknot:
What do you expect for $300? 1st stage + primary second only? Octo? Gauges? Take a look at the Aqualung Titan with an enviromental kit. Vey solid performer for the money, also very easily serviced. Incidently, to a previous post- Apeks regs are not manufactured by Aqualung, just exclusively distributed by them in the US (meaning sma e purchasing restrictions as any Aqualung product).
$300 is just for the 1st stage and primary second. I'm planning on spending somewhere around 500-550 for 1st and 2nd stage, octo and either a 2 gauge console (pressure+compass) or a 3 gauge console. I already have my dive computer picked out (oceanic versa pro wrist) so I'm not sure if I'll get a depth gauge or not.
I'm going to make some trips to some lds who have some sales going on and see what they can get me within my price restrictions.

Also any opinions on the Oceanic Delta 3 CDX5? I have heard the delta 4's are susceptible to free flow while diving in currents but I have not experience with them.

I have taken a couple trips to my lds and they have the delta 4 fdx10 on sale for $380. Its more than I wanted to spend but still a pretty good deal for the reg. Any opinions? I would actually like a delta 3 (not sure if I want the swivel before 2nd stage) but I want one with a manufacturers warranty. I'm having trouble finding a delta 3, but we'll see. What are your opinions on the price as well as performance of this reg?
Thanks
Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom