Cold water deco regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My current deco bottle 1st stage is DGX Gears FIRST. I like that it's compact and makes for ideal hose routing. It has always functioned fine in the cold waters of the eastern seaboard, but now I'll be diving the great lakes and with the thermocline, it may be exposed to colder temperatures.

Curious if there's an environmentally sealed version of this type of first stage, designed for stage / deco use? Or am I worrying about nothing?

The gold standard for cold water regs would be Poseidon and Apeks but that's not to say SP is still out of the fight can be argued that the SP/Halcyon variants hold up just as well/better especially the MK17 and MK19 (I'm surprised that these are not more popular)

But back to your question what DGX and many many others (Deep6, DR, Tecline, HOG, Hollis, IST, TDS, Tecnomar, etc. etc.) have done for environmentally sealed diaphragm 1st stages is just make a knock off of the original tried and true Apeks DST. So yes DGX has a knock off of the DST looks like they call it the Gears D6 just like how they have the SP knock off called the Gears XTRA.

I was thinking the same prior to my first GL dive. In the summer, water temp at 20-30' is quite all right. I would not worry about the deco reg. My bailout is Deep6 Signature.

Try it. If it sucks in cold water, you'll get tired of feathering the valve on deco and get a more suitable regulator.

My current deco bottle 1st stage is DGX Gears FIRST. I like that it's compact and makes for ideal hose routing. It has always functioned fine in the cold waters of the eastern seaboard, but now I'll be diving the great lakes and with the thermocline, it may be exposed to colder temperatures.

Curious if there's an environmentally sealed version of this type of first stage, designed for stage / deco use? Or am I worrying about nothing?
Go for Sherwood as they’re environmentally sealed and air balanced.

Imho Scubapro has some solid cold water regs in the Mk17 and Mk19. They have served me incredibly well in the Great Lakes. For deco regs, Mk2 work well.

Xt1 was made for those conditions.

Has anybody used the tank valve regs yet? Those where the cats meow in paintball.

Back
Top Bottom