Divers trained in cold water are more skilled than those trained in warm water

• Yes

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed once bubbled...

Pete makes a good short point. tough to compare, Cold water divers may have to focus in on more adaptable skills with additional levels of equip for example, but warm water divers may log more dives annually because basically wherever they're living, it is diveable year round. Possibly every day.

A typical cold water diver will see his diving activity tend to cease in the hard, cold, winter months due to lack of feasibility.

We dive all year and it's always 40 at the bottom. If it freezes we just use a chain saw to get in but most winters the deeper sites don't freeze. I sometimes do a bit more diving in the winter just because I have more time.

"up here you DONT remove them becausae if you get thrown off the ladder you wount be able to get back with all your gear on."

I like to take my fins off when climbing any ladder. With a little air in the b.c.d & a tag line deployed off the stern, I feel confident in my ability to regain the ladder - especially because of my increased ability to climb sans my giant rubber feet.

BTW...my definition of cold water diving is anytime you MUST be completely encapsulated to remain viable.

Regards,
D.S.D.

diverjed once bubbled...

Pete makes a good short point. tough to compare, Cold water divers may have to focus in on more adaptable skills with additional levels of equip for example, but warm water divers may log more dives annually because basically wherever they're living, it is diveable year round. Possibly every day.

A typical cold water diver will see his diving activity tend to cease in the hard, cold, winter months due to lack of feasibility.

Dude,

That's not a fair assumption. We dive year round here. The vis is NE can be much better in the winter, so many of us are more motivated to go out and dive in the colder months.

IMO, a good cold water is a "better" diver than a good warm water diver.

There's really nothing to adapt to in warm water except having much less gear including thin (if any) gloves. Water below 40degs is the real deal, if you aren't up to task you can get into trouble very fast.

The biggest problem with the guys I know is that they go from NE (cold/low vis) to a place like the Caymans and the diving is so easy compared to what they are used to that they go overboard and take too many risks (go real deep, etc.).

To compare rec diving in warm and cold water, I just think of what it takes skills wise to a do 100' wreck dive here in NE during Decemeber with snow on the boat and 10' vis in the water, vs. a 100' deep tropical reef dive in 80deg water with 150' vis. If you can do the cold water one, you can do the warm, but the opposite is not true.

Vacation divers, who dive once or twice a year ,dive warm water with no problems, try that in harsher, colder waters and you might not be around too long.

In my opinion; Yes, cold water divers are better skilled. I think part of it is based on being familiar with different types and bouyancies of exposure protection, and the bouyancy and trim associated with those changes. It's sort of a muscle memory thing; where you aren't just used to one set of characteristics... sometimes you have more weight on your waist than others, and have to be able to adjust accordingly. I just think that active cold water divers have a more tuned sense of subtle differences in their trim and bouyancy.

I also think that cold water divers are more mentally aware of incoming problems. I've constantly stated that I believe recreationally deep warm water diving is more dangerous than deep cold water. The reason being one tends to be relaxed and more comfortable in warm blue clear water, where they can see the line from anywhere on their dive, and can see the boat, or at least be able to ascend 20 or 30 feet to be able to see it's siloette. I'm amazed diving with warm water divers, to see them look up at 40..50..60 feet to look for the boat. That's something that I've never even considered doing; because you don't have a chance in hell of seeing the boat from underwater if you aren't in sight of the ascent line.

My point... is that I think cold water divers are more expectant of problems, and are in-tune much more accordingly. Much like when you get scared in a haunted house vs. when you get scared by some guy jumping out of the bushes. In the former case, you're much more prepared for the event, and therefore it has less of an effect on your current situation.

Now just to make sure... this is my opinion from my personal experience. Milage may vary...

I've done a mask removal/replacement in warm sw with no problem, but doing the same in 48 deg water was a shock - I think I pulled 500# off my tank from the cold-water slam.

From that experience, doing it in warm water is a no-brainer.

Am I a better diver bc of it? I can tell you I'm better prepared in more conditions than a warm-only diver. Can't say I'm a better diver (but I am).

warm water divers ***** too much when they come to a cold water environment.

Examples: "All that weight, do I really have to?" (Do you really want to descend?)

" Do I have to wear the hood, I can't hear anything with it on." (Do you talk to your buddy underwater? Hell I go down to get away from talking.)

etc. etc.

I think spectre and some of the others sum it up well. You cold water divers have an additional set of skills (ie: drysuit, low vis, poor dexterity, strength/stamina issues, to mention a few) to master above what we have here in the tropics. We have a few considerations here as well, though, that you probably don't think of right away. Great vis has it's risks, you can see the boat/water's surface, so how can I be almost 200' deep already! You stay so comfortably warm, it's easy to loose track of time. The fact that you can see so far and so Much takes your attention away from watching depth/time/air etc. I agree that a cold water diver can dive well here with a Lot less learning curve, than I can go dive in the cold.

Overall, I think the skills set for cold water is tougher to master than for warm water. I have a great admiration for those who dive the great lakes and PNW etc.

Darlene

Learning to dive in cold water does not make a diver more skillful than a warm water diver. I have met a few dive guides in warm water that dive like fish.... while some IDC staff from cold water diving look more like OW student.

The skills level depend on how the individual diver improve him/herself.

However, the KNOWLEDGE LEARN from learning to dive in cold water is different from learning to dive in warm water. A person who learn to dive in cold water has no problem diving in warm water. But a warm water diver does not have the proper knowledge to dive cold water safely. IMO, for his safety, he definitelly need more info and even lesson before he dive cold water.

Its not about skill, or being a better diver, it's about the "know how", the proper knowledge.

Dive Safe. Cheers. :)

EXACTLY!

Generalized comments lie we are better then you because..... serve no purpose. I know people in the warm water that are MUCH better in any water then others and I know people in cold water that I would say that to also.

If I am in a warm water resort location, and actually cared about who my buddy was, and I was given a choice between a warm water buddy with 200 dives and a cold water buddy with 200 dives. You can BET that I am going th choose the warm water diver because you are in thier element. Same choice in Maine, you can bet the cold water diver.

I make this choice because the cold water diver will be better in cold water (although perfectable capable of diving in the other location also). It is not a question of who is a "better diver" it is a quesion of "who is a better diver in the given location?"

For all of those that want to label themselvs as better divers because of general diving experience feel free. I know it is nice to think we are better then those "other" divers. I have done both with a LOT more warm water dives having lived on a tropical island for years then cold water dives (but I live in the northeast now). I see no point in making this generalization. I know a lot of cold water divers with the same amount of experience as me that are better in the water then me some the are relativly speaking the same level of profiency and still others that are MUCH worse.

I agree, a newly qualified person in cold water may be more well rounded BUT that will level out it additional experience.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom