Divers trained in cold water are more skilled than those trained in warm water

• Yes

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...

What are we? Chopped Haddock?
Doesn't it mean you're pretty much prepared for anything? :wacko: Hmm, Gulf Stream not enough of an influence there, Jeff?

I don't know if it makes me a more skilled diver or not but diving cold water here definitely makes me a Superior diver...

:\"diving cold water here definitely makes me a Superior diver..."

Good one Cat...." Superior diver."
I like that ....
:D :wink:

cat once bubbled...

I don't know if it makes me a more skilled diver or not but diving cold water here definitely makes me a Superior diver...

Hahaha:lol: Very good one Cat!

"Conan the Barbarian"!!! :froggy: :viking:

I think diving in cold water (mid 30's-low 40's) is a little more challenging than warm water.

It is harder to manipulate your gear in three finger mitts and if your not used to diving in a suit you can feel restricted when you try to move.

I really enjoy diving in the caribbean where all I need is my swimsuit

well, cold water divers are more passionate lovers. Cold water divers are always in demand at kariokee night later in the bar. Cold water divers are great conversationalists...they know their wines too...often they are superb dancers and excellent swordmen. Unbeatable in billards, rampant with dice. Its always said that Cold water divers are superlative romantics and great sports (all which definately includes cold water women, is there anything more sublime than cold water women? I ask you that.)...You often notice the cold water diver by their exquisite taste in couture, in artistry, tone and texture. Cold water divers are often sparing with their words, yet capable of the most stirring poetry and ballad...cold water divers; the true renaissance men and women of the 21st century.

Walter once bubbled...
Excellent points, Mike. Silly poll.

That's a seriously poor attitude for a moderator to express over an honest question from a junior member.

"We should maybe specify which skills we're talking about. When it comes to diving technique, I believe a cold water diver may be able to dive well in wider veriety of exposure suits and weighting situations. Here we get to do a little of both. I can dive light stuff on shallow dives in 80 deg water yet at least some of our dives are in dry suits, hoods and gloves all year because it's always cold down deep.

There are other factors of the environment that introduce planning considerations. For these, skill and knowledge of one environment doesn't always help in another."

- Mike

Whatever point Mike was trying to make, he clearly states that a cold water diver will have more skills than a warm water diver.

Learning to dive in a dry suit, in a freezing quarry, in low viz, is clearly harder to do than learning in crystal clear bathwater in your shorts.

Yet we all learn out of the same manual.

Seems like a valid question to me.

Relevant question, you asked a general question, I dive cold (55f) in the ocean and warm in the lake, cold water diving def stresses you more and takes more skills than warm water diving, a heavy wetsuit constricts your breathing a bit, at least shore diving, entry and exit, hot as hell 'till you hit the water, you carry more weight to counter the extra buoyancy, cold water forces you to expend more calories, consume more air, you are more apt to cramp up,
Comparatively speaking, it feels like a walk in the park when you dive in warm water, less weight, less restriction of motion, no hood, gloves, booties (optional), etc. cheers ZeN||

I agree that you can not say that cold water divers are better as a whole. However I can say that I am a better having learned in the cold as opposed to if I had learned in warm water. One of your local training lakes is 42 degree f below 20’ year round. Doing and learning skills in this water with your hands being frozen defiantly makes those skills easier when you get to warm water. Also doing these skills in 5mm gloves makes them much easier when you can wear 3mm or none. Buoyancy is also a skill that when learned in cold water wearing a double 7mm suit becomes much easier when in warm water wearing only a 3mm. After being certified my wife and I went to Cozumel after only six dives under are belts including the four OW dives. After diving the first dive our DM could not believe we where new divers and I also notice most of the people diving with us with much more experience didn’t seem to have a clue. They would blow by safety stops and where all over the bottom. Do I think I am better than warm water divers NO but I do feel I am better than if I had learned in warm water.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom