Cold Water Diving Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
I don't think you'll ever find a diver that prefers cold water gloves to warm bare hands. They're a pain in the butt, and they reduce dexterity, making even the simplest tasks significantly more difficult. They're better than numb fingers though.

Which is why it's probably a good idea to wear gloves even when you don't need them if you're planning to do cold water dives. Better to be used to them and not need them than to need them and then freak out...

String:
Why would you want to do a CESA if the reg is freeflowing? Its giving you air. Just breathe from it while ascending normally. Then when it stops go to buddy and use his air.

Far more sensible than bolt 'n' pray.

ESA doesn't mean blow and go. It just mean emergency surface ascent.

Based on a test done by another member at 100 ft:

Time for empty tank with Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 155 seconds

If you are down to 800 psi, that 155 seconds might be only about 50 seconds. I would certainly want to kick my fins at a rate faster than 60 ft per minute.

ClayJar:
(If you don't have a spool, Dive Sports has cheap ones. They also have bags and other things, as I've read in the Hot Deals forum here, but I had to mention the $16 spools -- I saved enough to eat a foot-long Subway Melt... or several. :D)

So that's how it starts, eh, with a $16 spool? It sounds innocent enough, but soon it will by high pressure tanks, then doubles... Woe, woe is me.

fisherdvm:
ESA doesn't mean blow and go. It just mean emergency surface ascent.

Emergency swimming ascent. Ie, CESA, ie bolt 'n' pray.

If you are down to 800 psi, that 155 seconds might be only about 50 seconds. I would certainly want to kick my fins at a rate faster than 60 ft per minute.

OK so breathe from that for 50 seconds until it runs out then switch to buddys octopus for the remainder of the ascent. Keep it a nice slow <10m/min, do a stop, surface normally.

Either that or bolt and pray because of a simple freeflow risking a rapid ascent, embolism and a vastly increased risk of DCS instead of just sharing air.

Assuming it is Low-vis, cold water (which yes are not necessarily the same) I haven't seen a huge skill that is critical in low-vis, esp with thick gloves on is knowing ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT BY TOUCH. You should know this anyways, but esp if diving in any sort of low vis situation you need to be able to locate all critical equipment by touch.

Some tips for Cold Water diving that will improve your enjoyment exponentially:

Get multiple sets of hoods/gloves if doing repetitive coldwater dives, not having to put on wet/cold gloves/hoods makes it much more enjoyable and will help maintain that dexterity.

Stay warm between dives, you might not feel that bad but once you lose core temp its hard to get back.

Personally I prefer less thick gloves and more core protection and find it helps me maintain my dexterity better.

I had my first 6 dives in Cozumel, the next dive was in Monterey in 51 degree water. Its not the same thing. Its so far removed as to be a different sport all together. Its the equivalent of rock climbing and Ice-Climbing the skills may be very similar in some respecs but they are VERY different in others.

Something as simple as a mask removal and replacement can easily cause panic, pins and needles, inability to catch your breath followed by an urge to bolt for a place less cold and wet. Visability can be an issue as well, the lack of reference especially compared to the lazy lying on your back watching the trail of pretty bubbles floating slowly to the surface, can become I cant see my fin tips and I am really not sure of up or down cause I am having difficulty seeing which way my bubbles go. The wetsuit, hood, gloves make you feel bulky and and unbalanced. The extra weight before you hit the water makes you feel too heavy and probably a bit nervous.

Best advice (I can offer) go out about 4' while standing remove your mask stick your whole head in the water and breath. Yea! wakes you up huh! :D Now swim out to about 20' depth and wiggle around a little let that nice ICE COLD water run down the small of your back. Clench and unclench your hands a few times get used to the feel. When you drop down to the bottom with your buddy REMOVE your entire mask (might be a good idea to clasp your buddies arm with your other hand before you do this), look around a bit and then let go of your buddy and replace your mask. For your next few dives this is a great way to get past the cold rush panic you get in cold water.

After a few dives the wetsuit begins to feel like your warm (well sorta warm) cacoon and the rest of this totally different place opens up. I love warm water diving, but cold water diving has its rewards as well, including making warm water diving even more fun :D .

The midwater disorientation thing is a hard one. Learning to shoot a bag is ENORMOUSLY helpful, because all of a sudden, you have a built-in reference for what vertical is. In addition, in turbid water, you can watch the particles. They mostly stay put, so if they're moving down, you're actually moving UP, and vice versa. Becoming very attentive to your ears helps for downward movement. (My ears tell me NOTHING about moving UP.) Learning to feel the precise amount of pressure your tank and BC put on your back when you're neutral helps, because when that pressure is reduced, you need to vent. It took me a LOT of practice to put these things together.

I was very proud of myself, that I dove in almost zero viz this weekend at times (caught in silt raised by a class) and I did not tumble, even without an upline or even a visible buddy (long story, I was videotaping). But it's taken over 300 dives to get there.

Lots of right-on cold water stuff in this thread so far.

I'll add, being in good physical condition. Cold water means more insulation and more weight to compensate. Many cold water divers use heavy steel tanks, also. You'll be hauling and wearing a lot more bulk and weight out of the water, and that means additional physical requirements.

It's always a good idea for us divers to be in good physical condition, but for cold water divers, with the added equipment you haul and wear, it's doubly important.

Forgot, too, that cold water divers should be quite familiar and comfortable with the management of freeflows and sticking inflators.

Google "gasp reflex cold water". Knowledge is power!

Back
Top Bottom