Cold water hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson 7mm. gold lined is the best I have used . They have dry suit hoods & wetsuit hoods . They both have vent tops too , to get rid of any air trapped in hood . But the right size is important ..

No complaints about the DUI hood that came with my drysuit. I've had it down to 48F with no worries, including multiple 90 min exposures @ 53F.

I have a cold water hood from WetWear. G-231 Neoprene. Very warm.

Eric

Another vote for the Bare 7mm semi-dry. Probably the warmest part of my wetsuit. the smooth rubber face and neck seals are great, has good face coverage. I use it with a wetsuit, but depending on the type of your drysuit, the hood's skirt should tuck under the drysuit's hood flap nicely. I've dove with it in 45-50F water, my head never felt cold, even though other parts of my body did.

-Roman.

I don't know what brand mine is, but it is a 6.5 mm "drysuit" hood (basically, there are no shoulders to it). It has latex around the inside so it makes a seal. My hair is lightly damp when I remove it...so for all intents and purposes, it is a dry hood. My neck gets darn cold, though :)

I use a latex hood, it's always dry. I can vary what I wear underneath to keep warm. I've been in 35 degree water for an hour and came out warm. Latex are the only true dry hoods, I have ever used. All the neoprene hoods I have used have gotten wet inside. I vary the liner underneath. In the winter I add extra thinsulate around my neck. Usually just wear an OS system thinsulate beanie underneath. Warm and dry, the only way to go.

I have the Bare 7mm Dry hood with the zipper up the back and I have been in water 38degrees with it, my lips were frozen but my head was warm. As long as you get one that fits well and doesn't allow alot of water circulation. :frosty:

I bought a Harvey's drysuit hood from leisurepro.com, then got a Bare Nex-Gen drysuit that came with a Bare Extreme hood...The Bare seems a little bit thicker than the Harvey's, but the Harvey's seems to fit better, with no 'loose' spots...I think the Bare face hole is a slight bit smaller than the Harvey's, but both hoods seal nicely around the face...Have'nt tried either in the water yet, but will be diving this weekend (hopefully) and will try both for what it's worth...If I had to go with one, it would be the Harvey's, for the fit...Neither hood has a zipper, BTW..Also, I'm considering placing a small hole in the top of the hoods for air venting, to prevent pockets of cold air...Any comments on this procedure?? :bonk:

Hot nail and 2-3 holes on top to prevent cone head=-) I have 3 holes arranged in a triangle on top, works fine...

I dive with the Henderson 7mm Gold core hood and think it is pretty darn warm in 40 de. f . temps. Has air vents and is easy to but on.

good luck::wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom