Cold water rig ? whats the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares MR22/Abyss is a solid, great breathing reg that you can get fairly cheap now since they are being discontinued. Current record holder for deep dive as far as I know.
Using it as my main reg for the last 3 years without any problems. was diving year around in Nova Scotia and now in the great lakes. Breathes always the same regardless how deep or how cold.
This said, I'll second all posts that recommend trying as many different regs and choosing by what you like most and not based only on recommendation by someone that you don't even know :wink:
Serviceability is an issue too. It makes very little sense choosing a reg that you can't repair or service in your area.

At the low end of your price range, you could do the V-16 Proton Metal, it does have the anti freeze vanes on the second stage and is the diaphragm V16 1st stage that uses the spherical core seat.... Or for $100 more, you can move to the Proton Ice which is really about the same - except the 1st stage is the V32 (looks different - but internal seats are the same) and the second stage has a larger (and bluer) exhaust.

But either one sounds like it will fit your requirements for temp and pocket book...

I'll agree that the Atomic is a great reg - but probably a few hundred out of the price range you are trying to stay in.

I did a bunch of reading and
sent in my order for the Mares MR22/Abyss got it for 325$

looks to be a good rig .. thanks for all the help guys .....

:wink:

Ill let you all know how it turns out :)

Gabriel90512:
I did a bunch of reading and
sent in my order for the Mares MR22/Abyss got it for 325$

looks to be a good rig .. thanks for all the help guys .....

:wink:

Ill let you all know how it turns out :)
Good choice and good price. I don't think you'll regret your decision. I know, I didn't. :wink:
For that matter, I don't know anyone, who didn't like their Abyss. :D
Many will have their issues with Mares but no one will tell you that your reg is crapp.
Please, share your further experience with us

Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme - works great in cold water even at depths beyond 130' - I like it more than my old Apeks setups for sure.

Gabriel,

I have tried and tested various "so called" cold water first and second stages.

Personally I would only recommend using either ScubaPro or Apeks equipment.

To put it bluntly, the equipment is made and tested for cold water diving.

Personally I dive with 2 * MK25's, 1 * X650 and 1 * D400 (All Scuba Pro). On my stages I use ATX 100's (As they are easier to O2 clean!).

I hope this helps; I honestly do not think you can get any better! I am not sure how much they cost in the US, but in the netherlands you can get a MK25 with X650 for around Euro 350.

Paul

6474286:
Gabriel,

I have tried and tested various "so called" cold water first and second stages.

Personally I would only recommend using either ScubaPro or Apeks equipment.

To put it bluntly, the equipment is made and tested for cold water diving.

Personally I dive with 2 * MK25's, 1 * X650 and 1 * D400 (All Scuba Pro). On my stages I use ATX 100's (As they are easier to O2 clean!).

I hope this helps; I honestly do not think you can get any better! I am not sure how much they cost in the US, but in the netherlands you can get a MK25 with X650 for around Euro 350.

Paul
I completely disagree that Scubapro does the BEST cold water regs.
To put it bluntly: I know of plenty of diver that wouldn't dive with you in cold water if you were using Scubapro :wink:
I dove the MK25 and if a first stage is proned to freezes, than this is the one. My experience is confirmed by many posts in countless threads on this board.
While Apeks is great gear, there are more good cold water regs like the POSEIDON and many other.

I would agree that most who compare the two and have a half decent opinion, would choose the Apeks over the Scubapro. They are regs that are not designed for coldwater, and that is all there is too it. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I wouldn't dive with you if you had one, that's your problem.
Just take where each is made, Apeks in the UK (cold ass water), Scubapro in california (warm ass water) there is your answer. The only guy that will tell you that Scubapro is a great coldwater reg is one who doesn't want to see any downside to his reg.

I guess I should have gotten my comments in a bit sooner.

My vote goes to the Sherwood "Blizzard". As a diver recently exposed to reg repair, this unit would get my vote.

The simplicity and efficiancy of the Sherwood/Genesis design makes me wonder why other manufacturers have not copied/pirated the design, well..... short of patent infringement and all. The shop that is teaching me is qualified to repair everything from poseiden to Pro Sub,Mares and U.S Divers to Dacor and Cressi. (The shop has been in business for over 14 years, thats "Light Years" in New England for a dive shop. ) Some have been out of production for some time but, I have been shown what/why regs freeze up and which types/brands resist this type of extreme conditions.

I hope you enjoy your choice,.......furthermore, I hope that you get the results that you require from this reg.

Be Safe

rescuediver009:
I would agree that most who compare the two and have a half decent opinion, would choose the Apeks over the Scubapro. They are regs that are not designed for coldwater, and that is all there is too it. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I wouldn't dive with you if you had one, that's your problem.
Just take where each is made, Apeks in the UK (cold ass water), Scubapro in california (warm ass water) there is your answer. The only guy that will tell you that Scubapro is a great coldwater reg is one who doesn't want to see any downside to his reg.
I didn't say, I wouldn't dive with someone that uses Scubapro. I said, I know diver that wouldn't.
I was asked this question (what reg) by more experienced diver when I started diving and was looking for buddies to gain experience. The dives in question though were a little bit more advanced (a wreck in 35 meter depth in a German lake.very dark and cold)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom