Cold water rig ? whats the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the flurry of responses;

I would like to say that Apeks make a better rig overall and I agree it is definately designed (The whole range of regs and 1st stages) for cold water diving.

However; I would definately stick by my comment on the MK25's they have proved to be wonderfully performing 1st stages. I have had one free flow when I first started diving on a Mares 1st stage and since then I changed to ScubaPro and Apeks Reg's.

I dive regularily in cold water (Netherlands, same kind of conditions as middle / north UK), and dive all year round (snow and all) with this confiuration, and it has never given a problem.

The thing I really like about the ScubaPro 1st stages, is the fact you can attach a hose under the 1st stage, which makes it a great set for my technical kit (Sorry, I know it's not DIR).

I have heard of some people experiencing problems with the combination MK25 and X650 in the past, mainly from people experimenting with the purge valve whilst under and having the flow regulator completely opened (Then it definately free flows and the air disappears very quickly indeed).

Like I said: In summary both the Apeks and the ScubaPro are excellent regulators, I agree that the Apeks is probably the better regulator, but I don't think that the scubapro kit deserves such an ear bashing. I continuously dive in cold, deep water without any problems using the combination of the Apeks and Scubapro.

Hope this helps

Paul

rescuediver009:
Just take where each is made, Apeks in the UK (cold ass water), Scubapro in california (warm ass water) there is your answer. The only guy that will tell you that Scubapro is a great coldwater reg is one who doesn't want to see any downside to his reg.

Very well said!
While the ScubaPros are definately great warm water regs, I would never get one for cold water diving.
As I live in Germany (very cold water) Ive seen a lot of people who sold their SPs after a lot of free flowing in cold dark lakes :). Almost everyone recommends Apeks (or Poseidon, some Mares etc) over here but, of course, you will also find some die hard SP-Fans :)
If the price of a decent SP-reg is the same as of a decent Apeks one, I dont see a lot of reasons to get the SP because the Apeks simply offers more possible uses in the future (cold water, tech etc.).

bye

MarcHerm:
Very well said!
While the ScubaPros are definately great warm water regs, I would never get one for cold water diving.
As I live in Germany (very cold water) Ive seen a lot of people who sold their SPs after a lot of free flowing in cold dark lakes :). Almost everyone recommends Apeks (or Poseidon, some Mares etc) over here but, of course, you will also find some die hard SP-Fans :)
If the price of a decent SP-reg is the same as of a decent Apeks one, I dont see a lot of reasons to get the SP because the Apeks simply offers more possible uses in the future (cold water, tech etc.).

bye
I'm originally from Germany and this is exactly where I was asked with what reg I'm diving :wink:
While Scubapro makes great regs, I'd use them only in warm water.
With my diving history: Germany, Nova Scotia, Great lakes and these dive were done year around, I don't think I would have been very comfortable diving Scubapro, knowing they may have problems in cold water.
But everybody is entiteled to be doing what makes them comfortable
Gut Luft :wink:

Has anyone taken a look at Poseidon as a cold water reg. I have been doing a lot of research and dove with the Xstream Deep and found it to be the best breathing dependable reg on the market. It is perfect for cold water and mixed gas use. Poseidon also has a great history for making gear for cold water use. God Bless the Swedes.

Valhalla:
Has anyone taken a look at Poseidon as a cold water reg. I have been doing a lot of research and dove with the Xstream Deep and found it to be the best breathing dependable reg on the market. It is perfect for cold water and mixed gas use. Poseidon also has a great history for making gear for cold water use. God Bless the Swedes.
Great regs. Diving a Poseidon is like driving a Volvo. Big, clumsy but very safe, reliable and longlasting.
I have a Jetstream too but the Mares Abyss is a better breather. Haven't tried the Xstream yet but they would have been over the price range that Gabriel90512 named :wink:
Anyway, the choice was made and I IMO think he got a good deal on a great reg.

I have used the Poseidon Xstream. The original version. I tested it under the ice and it performed flawlessly. Although it is an awesome reg, the intial price, combined with the serviceability, make it something I don't want to bother with. You can buy 2 Apeks ATX50's for the price of one Xstream 1st and 2nd.
the size however, is nothing like the older Jetstreams though...

rescuediver009:
I would agree that most who compare the two and have a half decent opinion, would choose the Apeks over the Scubapro. They are regs that are not designed for coldwater, and that is all there is too it. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I wouldn't dive with you if you had one, that's your problem.
Just take where each is made, Apeks in the UK (cold ass water), Scubapro in california (warm ass water) there is your answer. The only guy that will tell you that Scubapro is a great coldwater reg is one who doesn't want to see any downside to his reg.

Okay, I have a Scubapro MK25/S600 set up. Now I haven't used it during the winter yet but was going to until I read this thread. Now Scubapro claim to have a TIS (Thermal Insulating System) built into their systems which is CE approved (whatever that means) for cold water diving. If I need to buy a new set up for winter diving I don't have a problem with that but I don't want to be spending money needlessly. Does their TIS work or does it not? :crafty:

Far_X:
Okay, I have a Scubapro MK25/S600 set up. Now I haven't used it during the winter yet but was going to until I read this thread. Now Scubapro claim to have a TIS (Thermal Insulating System) built into their systems which is CE approved (whatever that means) for cold water diving. If I need to buy a new set up for winter diving I don't have a problem with that but I don't want to be spending money needlessly. Does their TIS work or does it not? :crafty:
There are many diver that use Scubapro in cold water and never experienced a problem. That said, the frequency of freevflows (freeze?) in Scubapro regs in cold water is higher than other high end regs. This is reported in many threads on this and other boards.
As resuediver009 said and I would agree with him, Scubapros are not designed for cold water and if I would to choose a cold water reg, I wouldn't consider them.
Whether you are willing to dive your reg in the winter is a personal decision. Use the search function to read a little bit more about it and make your decision.

First things first I am not slamming the quality of Scubapro regs.

But, because the piston is made of a material that does not fail or freeze in cold water doesn't make the reg a cold water reg. The other components around the open port first stage can still freeze.

I think that this is just an attempt to capture the cold water reg market....

but they are good warm water regs.....

Back
Top Bottom