collingwood harbour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious if anyone here has checked out Collingwood harbour before?Possibly the area just south of the big silos where they used to launch the ships?Anyways they are going to start developing the whole harbour area and I wanted to see if its a doable dive for a sunday afternoon

Never crossed my mind. Wouldn't expect much depth. although might be objects of interest. We keep a boat in Meaford and had started exploring that area a bit last season, plan to do some more this year. All we've seen so far is some old crib work from the original breakwall that was dumped when they built the new harbour.
If you do dive Collingwood, would be interested in hearing about it (depths, vis, what you saw).

Hey Groundhog have you done any other dives in the Georgian Triangle area?What about out from Thornbury or Owen Sound.I am very familiar with these areas fishing and boating,But not familiar with good diving areas.I think there must be alot more shipwrecks in this area that are possibly waiting to be found considering the dangerous shoals in southern Georgian Bay.I did find the Mary Ward wreck several years ago but thats a very shallow dive more suited to snorkeling.

Not many yet, but planning to explore "locally" (to my boat) this summer. My wife only certified late last summer, prior to that I had a difficult time finding buddies to explore. Our 14 year old has one more class and should be doing his OW dives June 14/15 if all goes well. So then I'll have another buddy. Problem now will be fitting gear and tank for 3 on board. :( I need a bigger boat. :D Although suggesting that out loud might get me hurt.
We plan to explore the wrecks around Hope/Chrisiton and Beckwith later in the summer. Another couple at our marina that we have travelled in company with (each on their own boat) also taking course and hope to do OW the same weekend as our 14 year old. I'd be VERY nervous about taking our boat (sailboat, 4 foot draft, fixed keel) in maong the shoals to get at the Mary Ward.
You don't have a location in your profile, are you far from Meaford area?

No, I,m not close to Meaford, I live close to Sutton on the south shore of Lake Simcoe. I,ts a closer commute to Toronto for work!Yes you would have a problem getting close to the Mary Ward with a sailboat, an inflatable boat is the best way out there.Anyway I will be doing a dive in Collingwood Harbour possibly this weekend. Will let you know if its interesting or not.

Remember that the sewage treatment plant is right by there, i wonder how far the pipes go out, i shure wouldn't want to jump in at the end of that.
Then again the morrison is right beside a sewage treatment plant.

Sewage outflow pipes, for a reasonably modern Canadian City, are reasonably safe. There may be some viruses, etc, but what comes out the pipes is clean water. All the "icky" stuff gets treated - after all, that's why it's called a Sewage Treatment Plant.

Then again, for every example like Barrie, where you have clean water and a well-known dive site, you have a city like Halifax which just straightpipes everything out into the Ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom