Color Correction Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two different filters to put the red back into your shot. The first is the normal red filter that everyone has on their housings that you can flip up or put on externally. The second is a magenta filter that we use in California and other areas that are along the pacific coast, lakes, etc. I believe it is an 88 but have to double check. When used appropriately, the filters work well.

The key to any good color though is your ability to white balance underwater. Can you white balance?

I will be diving over the next four days here in The Channel Islands, and do a lot of diving in California. It is not the kelp that makes our water green, it is upwellings of nutrients, algae and other particles in the water column.

If you have any more questions about this, I will return on September 13th. It is so much easier to edit when you bring the footage home correctly, but we are lucky with what we can do in post now!

Cheers,

Annie

Annie Crawley:
The key to any good color though is your ability to white balance underwater. Can you white balance?

Thanks Annie. Yes, the housing controls have been modified so that I can manually set the white balance, but I cannot zoom as of yet. When I white balance on land, I zoom in on my white material to fill the frame as much as possible, so I am trying to figure out if I will be able to get an adequate subject to fill the frame enough to set the white balance underwater without the zoom, as a dive slate, etc might not be big enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom