Color Correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Anyone have any specifics they want me to address? Nothing specific about certain cameras mind you, just general stuff please. :wink:

I'd love to see more articles on specific PS techniques. Or better yet, a descriptionglossery of the Photoshop tools and what you would use them for with U/W photos. For instance, I've read on DDN about using one of the blurring filters on the background of some photos to bring out the subject, seperating it from the background. I never would have thought of that.

I have a couple of books on PS7 and I'm starting to learn the basics but it's just not specific enough for use on our photos.

Dee:
I'd love to see more articles on specific PS techniques. Or better yet, a descriptionglossery of the Photoshop tools and what you would use them for with U/W photos. For instance, I've read on DDN about using one of the blurring filters on the background of some photos to bring out the subject, seperating it from the background. I never would have thought of that.

I have a couple of books on PS7 and I'm starting to learn the basics but it's just not specific enough for use on our photos.

Hi Dee, thats a good idea. However, that sort of Photoshopping is beyond me. I pretty much stick to color and sharpening. More advanced techniques are something i would like to learn as well, i have never had the time to mess around with them though. I think the blur concept you mention is Gaussian blur, i have seen some great examples of that on the NPN site. (www.naturephotographers.net)

Maybe we should start a thread on advanced technique tips?

Mike:

Great article! I have been experimenting with a number of methods of color correcting UW photos for several months now and have started to write an article on my findings. It is a work in progress and I hope to be able to share it in the next few weeks, my work schedule permitting. I learned the eyedropper technique (I call it selectamatic) from Ben Willmore's book "Photoshop Studio Techniques". This is a great book if you are trying to learn Photoshop. You have some great ideas as to how to apply it to UW Photos.

Dee: My action project is almost complete. Any info on the ability to uplink actions to our members for critique? The only thing I can think of is to see if Adobe will accept an upload and patch the url into a message. Keep in touch.

---Bob

Mike -

thanks for the great tips!

One question (yeah, sure, only one! lol) do you use this on your RAW files or some similar process in the RAW converter or is this for once they are in PS?

I, too, am looking forward to more articles to help me through the maze that is PS7...

Hi Alcina,

This method is for stuff already in Photoshop. I have only recently purchased a RAW capable camera, once i figure out the necessary steps for good results i will write something up.

Way cool, considering my handle you'll understand why I'd really like to read that article. That is one really nice mag.
cheers,
maria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom