Colorado/Denver dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I needed to get my AOW for a live aboard that requires regardless of amount of dives. Any recommendations on Denver Metro? Open to a longer drive if worth it. Open to any agency. Thank you.

If you are north, then I have faith in Flatirons(PADI) in Broomfield and Weavers (SSI probably) in Boulder and have done quite a bit of business with. Note that I have not used these for classes as I was certified by my father in law however my dealings with them were/are good and those I knew in the business had good relationships with them.
I had a friend work for Ocean First in Boulder but I have lost touch with him and don't know much about them other than he was keen on working there. They seem to be a bigger place so maybe have more availability for classes if you are short of time.
I had for many years used Coral Key Scuba in Arvada but the staff has turned over so I cannot make a specific recommendation one way or the other.
There is a small lake/quarry in Arvada around I-70 and Wadsworth that many of these shops share. Though I am guessing right now a bit cold and may not yet be open.

If you are north, then I have faith in Flatirons(PADI) in Broomfield and Weavers (SSI probably) in Boulder and have done quite a bit of business with. Note that I have not used these for classes as I was certified by my father in law however my dealings with them were/are good and those I knew in the business had good relationships with them.
I had a friend work for Ocean First in Boulder but I have lost touch with him and don't know much about them other than he was keen on working there. They seem to be a bigger place so maybe have more availability for classes if you are short of time.
I had for many years used Coral Key Scuba in Arvada but the staff has turned over so I cannot make a specific recommendation one way or the other.
There is a small lake/quarry in Arvada around I-70 and Wadsworth that many of these shops share. Though I am guessing right now a bit cold and may not yet be open.
Thank you, do you know how deep the quarry is? Would be great to not have to go to NM or UT for the deep dive. I am south , but don’t mind the drive. OW is SSI but I don’t have a preference. Thank you

I think it's max 6 m and is private - Old quarry/pond. Coral Key has access as others might but best to ask shops. Again, I don't know when it opens (temps) and the same for reservoirs. You can try A-1 scuba in the south. They probably use the reservoirs. I personally don't use them but many find them acceptable. ymmv.

If you are southside, you should look into Underwater Connection in Co. Springs. They have an excellenmt facility and will do all your dives at one of the Denver area quarries anyway. They are SSI.

A-1 Scuba in Littleton is an option for you. I haven't taken their courses, but when I lived in Colorado, I would do my dive shopping there. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and they've been around since 1959.

There is pretty much nowhere in Colorado where you can legitimately do the deep dive for AOW. If you are to do that dive legitimately, a shop will need to take you to the Blue Hole in New Mexico. You can technically reach the minimum depth for the deep dive at Homestead Crater in Utah, but you will barely get deeper than the 60 foot minimum, and for me that isn't legitimate.

The quarry in Arvada is nowhere near deep enough, and you will get an ice cream headache after 20 feet.

Some shops go to the Blue Hole in New Mexico regularly, and I would get in with one of those. I know Weavers in Boulder does. That's a nice weekend trip.

If you are southside, you should look into Underwater Connection in Co. Springs. They have an excellenmt facility and will do all your dives at one of the Denver area quarries anyway. They are SSI.
I would be interested in knowing where those Denver area quarries are. The one in Arvada is the only one I know. Almost all Denver area diving is done in either Chatfield Reservoir (maximum depth = 21 feet) or Aurora Reservoir. (People tell me you can get deeper than 35 feet if you know where to go, but 35 is the max I have reached, and it is only reached in the spring.) Both Chatfield and Aurora are pretty darn nippy right now, and Aurora is not even open.

FWIW, Aurora Res. opened April 1. +1 on the nippy status. I'm not sure about right now, but last year it was 50 *F (at 60 ft) at the end of May. I think Blue Hole / Santa Rosa, NM (5.5 hr drive from Denver) is your best bet for the AOW deep dive (bottoms out at 85 ft). Talk to one of the shops, as I'm sure they've answered this many times. I've had great experience with Flatirons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom