Coming back with TOO MUCH air??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as i read through some of these it sounds like some of you think im planing on using that stage tank. i am not!! its not going to be part of my gas plan to use the bottle. its there as a precaution in the event, something happens. just like when u dive solo. its only for emergencies. (ex, getting back to the boat with out having to swim through surface currents and waves.)

back on boat with 500 psi minimum on main tank. that's the rule.

even though i use ~ 1/3 of a tank of air, im considering using the pony because its not always a guaranty. conditions may change; the current picks up the water gets colder etc. its just a safety measure im contemplating. like some have mentioned i probably don't even need it.

well, of course, im not going to blindly jump in with a almost empty tank. ill set a minimum refill standard for that pony tank, say 1500 to 1200 on the pony. thats about equal to 750 psi to 500psi on the AL80. But im really really really estimating a usage of the pony only 1 out of 6 times in the water. For no more then like 5 - 10 min to get back to boat.

You are looking to save money in all the wrong places.
It is foolish to enter the water, wittingly with depleted air supplies.

Get used to it, using your air and diving for an hour with half the tank left on paid boat excursions happens to me too. You'll have to live with it, just be happy you aren't an air hog that can't last much more than a half hour with a full tank, I've dove with a lot more air hogs than any other divers. Just when you think you are doing good with air, look at the amount an experienced DM uses on those dives, they end up with a lot more air than I have. It has to do with being really comfortable and relaxed while diving...those new divers really can suck down a tank!

ermaclob,

Sounds like you have good breathing control and your a natural at diving. You can definetly get extended dives but you are limited by your diving buddies. Having a buddy that is similar to you can definetly enhance the dive. There were many good suggestions posted, but you should always dive within your limits and what you are comfortable with.

I don't view my gear as being fashionable or not. I view it as my life support and it will keep me alive so I can complete my dive and return back to the surface. I've been divng the East Coast for two years now and I dive with 130s and my dive buddy uses 119s. Both of us have a 40cuft sling for emergency. You can talk to many divers and everyone can have a different philosophy towards diving. As for me. I believe in no single point of failure and carry at least two of everything.

Don't let a $6 air fill fustrate you. Enjoy your dives and be safe.

Happy Safe Diving.

... just be happy you aren't an air hog that can't last much more than a half hour with a full tank, I've dove with a lot more air hogs than any other divers...
+1, I would gladly return with 9/10 of a tank if possible.

maybee I'm missing something basic here but wouldn't the OP be better off just grabbing a 15l steel and having the pony bottle.they would go in on the second dive with very little less air than if they started with an al88 wouldnt they? (given they stay with the same buddies)

is the OP asking two unrelated questions that we might have gotten mashed up? One about two dives on one tank and one about pony bottles?

:zen:

Option 1) Trade your tanks in for some aluminum 63's, maybe even a set of 50's
Option 2) Set up a pair of 149 Steel HP doubles and fill them once every 10 dives :)

is the OP asking two unrelated questions that we might have gotten mashed up? One about two dives on one tank and one about pony bottles?

:zen:

its was one question: can i do 2 dives with one tank (safely), the pony tank i just suggested as a safety measure. im just doubting taking it because no one ive seen really uses them for that on shallow reef dives.

the only guy ive seen use more then one tank ever, is this guy in the dive club im in that uses doubles for everything. but he just does that cuz he likes his set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom