Coming back with TOO MUCH air??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its was one question: can i do 2 dives with one tank (safely), the pony tank i just suggested as a safety measure. im just doubting taking it because no one ive seen really uses them for that on shallow reef dives.

the only guy ive seen use more then one tank ever, is this guy in the dive club im in that uses doubles for everything. but he just does that cuz he likes his set up.

Ok. Can you do 2 dives safely with one tank? Yes. For shallow dives that are close to the entry/exit point.

And if no one else may need to "borrow" some of your air (an OOA buddy).

Rules of 1/3's was already mentioned as one approach. So, if everything went "to plan", you'd end the first dive with about 2,000 psi, and end the 2nd dive with about 1,000 psi.

I have done 2 dives on one tank.... but I will not do that except on shallow, easy dives that are close to the entry and exit point. And even then, I really prefer to do use a full Al80 for the 2nd dive.

Reason: Even though most of my dives are in very benign conditions, I want to always have more breathing gas than I plan to use.... because once in a very great while, you will use much more gas than you planned on, no matter how careful and alert you are.

Best wishes.

Your doing shallow dives so going to the surface if you are running low on air is not an issue. So do two dives on a tank. Its just not hard to figure this out. Dive1 3000-2000. Dive2 2000-1000. Not difficult.

Buy a fill Express card if you want the most bang for the buck. You will likely blow your savings on gas!

Maybe do some dives where you can hit your NDL. Will that end this thread? :D

its was one question: can i do 2 dives with one tank (safely), the pony tank i just suggested as a safety measure. im just doubting taking it because no one ive seen really uses them for that on shallow reef dives.

the only guy ive seen use more then one tank ever, is this guy in the dive club im in that uses doubles for everything. but he just does that cuz he likes his set up.

I dive a pony in FL as I am often a solo diver. I should say the insta buddies I meet are not necessarily good buddies so I always carry a pony. My pony is my buddy and I carry it on every dive unless I know my buddy. Its not about what everybody else does, its about whats safe and smart. Smart solo divers have a backup air source. If you have a good buddy this thread maybe pointless.

I often do two shallow dives on one tank, but I also dive large steel tanks and also pay by the cubic foot not by the fill. So who cares what I do.

My suggestion would be to dive as you do now and enjoy some nice long shore dives in between fills with all that extra air. That way you won't feel like you're paying for something you don't need. You will have to pay for parking on the beach :D but that's all!

Alternatively, you could find a shop down your way that sells gas by the cubic foot like Fill Express as someone suggested. If you already don't want to pay for a fill when your tank is still usable, I doubt you would want to drive to Pompano from Miami to get fills either.

There's great shore diving around here, enjoy it!

RonFrank:6248022:
Your doing shallow dives so going to the surface if you are running low on air is not an issue. So do two dives on a tank. Its just not hard to figure this out. Dive1 3000-2000. Dive2 2000-1000. Not difficult.

Buy a fill Express card if you want the most bang for the buck. You will likely blow your savings on gas!

Maybe do some dives where you can hit your NDL. Will that end this thread? :D

I really apreciate the advice from everyone. Ive decided to do the rule of thirds and re use the tank if theres ~ 2000 - 1800 on shallow dives and in good conditions. No stage tank. Ill keep that just for solo or for deeper diving later. Theres little need for it.

Hahaha....I thought this thead was dead. There was no activity for almost 4-5 days, alot of the thing sudgested now are just repition of other peoples posts. :)

Back
Top Bottom