Coming Full Circle…From Jeweler to Communicator to Diver to Jeweler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveFlagJewelry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ring_square_side2_250x120.JPG
P1090233.JPG
Pendant_on_cobra.JPG
DFJ_pendant_with_leather_cord.jpg
P1070243rl.jpg

You may have seen Dive Flag Jewelry at Beneath the Sea in March, at June’s Scuba Show in Long Beach or at other dive expos across the country. They offer a selection of items—rings, necklaces, bracelets, anklets and key rings—all with the iconic divers down flag. The metal is bronze or brass, chip inlay creates the flag design, and the items are plated with rhodium so they won’t tarnish.

Do you ever wonder how someone decides to make jewelry especially for divers? We asked Evonne Dunn, owner of Dive Flag Jewelry, that question. Turns out she has had a chance not many are lucky to get. She has turned the clock back…sort of!

Back in the mid 1970s, Evonne and a friend started a jewelry business in North Miami Beach, Florida. Working out of a shop attached to a small motel, she was able to produce and sell a lot of seashore-oriented merchandise. Shark teeth with heishe and pukka shells were big sellers. (Remember them?!)

During the winter tourist season in Florida, Evonne would jump in her car and travel to Key West, stopping along the way to sell her items wholesale to other gift shops. After Spring Break, it was time to close her shop in Florida for several months, so she could continue selling her wares as far north as Maine.

In addition to all the gift shops she encountered on the road, Evonne stopped at a lot of dive shops to sell her products. Not a diver herself, she figured, “Divers like ocean-related souvenirs, too, right?” But, inevitably, dive shop owners would ask, “Where’s the jewelry just for divers?” After a couple years of hearing this refrain, Evonne was able to work with one of her suppliers to design and produce the first pieces in the Dive Flag Jewelry line. The pieces sold well in dive shops and via the 1970s version of online, magazine ads. Shoppers had to call in their orders, if you can imagine that!

Fast forward to the mid 1980s, when Evonne moved to Denver and started life in the corporate world, leaving her jewelry days behind. She found a great career awaiting her, helping large employers communicate with their employees about benefits enrollment, compensation and organizational changes, to name just a few areas Evonne handled in her 25 years as a human resources communications consultant.

During the 1990s, Evonne finally became a diver. The thought of diving terrified her, but nowadays, after logging over 300 dives, she is even more of a fan of scuba diving than her husband, who talked her into getting certified.

In the 2010s, as it was time to consider the next phase of her life, Evonne fondly remembered the jewelry days of her youth. She set about recreating the unique dive flag items that had previously been so well received.

Dive Flag Jewelry made its debut at the DEMA show in November 2014, to rave reviews. Again featuring rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, anklets and key rings, each item uses simulated red coral and mother of pearl to form the classic dive flag. Tarnish is a big problem at dive retailers located near salt sea air, as most of them are. The rhodium used to plate Dive Flag Jewelry is a member of the platinum family, which is wear-resistant and will never tarnish. The chip inlay is also extremely durable, since the dive flag is inlaid into channels cut into the rings and pendants. Use of simulated inlay protects our reefs.

In 2018, having come full circle, Evonne enjoys being back to her roots in the jewelry business. She says, “Our jewelry line provides divers an opportunity to express their passion for the sport,” a passion she now shares. “It’s a great way to let the world know you’re a diver!”

Dive Flag Jewelry is available for both retail and wholesale buyers. Find them annually at the DEMA show and online at www.diveflagjewelry.com.

Where is the dive flag jewlery made, if assembled from compone ts, where are the compone ts made?

@DiveFlagJewelry

I do like your design- especially the dive flag ring !`

FYI... A little history of the development of the flag
The red and white American dive flag had its beginning with a two sentence comment in the September 1957 Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) by Ted Nixon suggesting a flag to denote diving activity.
1957- 1960 discussions by SDM readers as to size, color and description of a dive flag for the infant sport of Skin diving
1960 Dive flag proportions was established as 4 units tall X 5 units wide with a 1 unit diagonal stripe. color was to be blaze orange - later changed to red and due to manufactures difficulties the flag was often square in shape .

Your ring is very close to 4 units tall X 5 units wide with a 1 unit diagonal stripe and is it red and white.

FYI... A little history of the first accident involving a diver displaying a dive flag
September 22 1962 diver displaying a dive flag struck and injured at Long Point. Catalina island
1964 litigation. I was called as the first and only "Expert Witness" to defend the use of a divers flag and to establish its validity in a court of law- we prevailed, the dive fag became official recognized flag of recreational diving

Numerous industry and private consults on the divers flag

1988 An individual on the east coast purchased a company that had made dive jewelry claimed possession of the dive flag and brought legal action against dive shop, ConEdison et all
consulted for the defense, litigation lasted 18 months. Dive flag was declared as being a part of the common domain , there was no established owner,

Most recently I was given the honor of the 2013 California SCUBA Service award at SCUBA Show in Long Beach. I made a power point presentation on the history of the divers flag at the show

For some additional information my I suggest that you check out Diving history tales from the Abyss; the dive flag thread on this board

I would also like to chat via a PM about a dive flag ring and my experiences ( note plural) about another manufacture of dive jewelry & a dive flag ring

Keep up the very fine work

Cheers from a hill top over looking the blue Pacific Ocean

Sam Miller, 111
cc
@Schwob

They look great!
How about an Alpha flag version for international based divers who don't use the red and white US flag?
Or my personal favourite, Z flag :wink:

Alpha Flag.png

Flag Z.png

Trade secrets! LOL

Well, for what it's worth:
I was not trying to have you devulge any secrets. I did not think you would view "country of origin" or "made in..." as such.
I thought they look good, was interested, but I prefer to buy such an item knowing it's country of origin.

One of my buddies bought a ring like that in Cozumel in 2015. I had no idea it was associated with a brand. We generally try and avoid knock offs most of the time so it makes me cringe to ask this.

Do you have people legitimately reselling them in destinations like Cozumel?

If not, then I guess the only thing to do is to recall that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

FYI
Dive flag Jewelry has been produced by a number of companies almost since the adaption if the divers flag in 1960.

Perhaps you recall the first companies to produce dive jewelry?

Rogers Jewelry & Emblem Company in LA or Sea Craft of Beverly Mass They were the first and produced some exceptionally fine pieces - including dive flag cuff links Tie tacs and rings.

Sam Miller,III

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on your art work.

One of my buddies bought a ring like that in Cozumel in 2015. I had no idea it was associated with a brand. We generally try and avoid knock offs most of the time so it makes me cringe to ask this.

Do you have people legitimately reselling them in destinations like Cozumel?

If not, then I guess the only thing to do is to recall that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I am flattered! And, yes, we do have a few places selling our stuff in Cozumel. A lot more places wanted to carry it, but Mexican 'IRS' rules make it a challenge for U.S. vendors like us to sell there. In any case, I believe our Dive Flag Jewelry is the only version done with rhodium plating and chip inlay. The chip inlay is the easiest way to distinguish our product from any others. The others usually have the flag baked on (enamel) or may have full stones inset into channels. Using chip inlay makes the pieces more durable than baked-on styles and keeps the items more affordable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom