Coming Full Circle…From Jeweler to Communicator to Diver to Jeweler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, for what it's worth:
I was not trying to have you devulge any secrets. I did not think you would view "country of origin" or "made in..." as such.
I thought they look good, was interested, but I prefer to buy such an item knowing it's country of origin.
Thanks so much for your interest. I am happy to share all the details with you. Is there a way for us to chat about this in a less public forum?

@DiveFlagJewelry

I do like your design- especially the dive flag ring !`

FYI... A little history of the development of the flag
The red and white American dive flag had its beginning with a two sentence comment in the September 1957 Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) by Ted Nixon suggesting a flag to denote diving activity.
1957- 1960 discussions by SDM readers as to size, color and description of a dive flag for the infant sport of Skin diving
1960 Dive flag proportions was established as 4 units tall X 5 units wide with a 1 unit diagonal stripe. color was to be blaze orange - later changed to red and due to manufactures difficulties the flag was often square in shape .

Your ring is very close to 4 units tall X 5 units wide with a 1 unit diagonal stripe and is it red and white.

FYI... A little history of the first accident involving a diver displaying a dive flag
September 22 1962 diver displaying a dive flag struck and injured at Long Point. Catalina island
1964 litigation. I was called as the first and only "Expert Witness" to defend the use of a divers flag and to establish its validity in a court of law- we prevailed, the dive fag became official recognized flag of recreational diving

Numerous industry and private consults on the divers flag

1988 An individual on the east coast purchased a company that had made dive jewelry claimed possession of the dive flag and brought legal action against dive shop, ConEdison et all
consulted for the defense, litigation lasted 18 months. Dive flag was declared as being a part of the common domain , there was no established owner,

Most recently I was given the honor of the 2013 California SCUBA Service award at SCUBA Show in Long Beach. I made a power point presentation on the history of the divers flag at the show

For some additional information my I suggest that you check out Diving history tales from the Abyss; the dive flag thread on this board

I would also like to chat via a PM about a dive flag ring and my experiences ( note plural) about another manufacture of dive jewelry & a dive flag ring

Keep up the very fine work

Cheers from a hill top over looking the blue Pacific Ocean

Sam Miller, 111
cc
@Schwob
Sam, it would be great to connect. How do we PM???

I think country of origin/manufacture is a very valid question (for so many reasons) and is not a trade secret.

I understand @Dogbowl 's concerns. I refuse to buy metal jewellery if I can't trust the origin. It's too easy to get heavy-metal (lead and cadmium at least) tainted metal from shady Chinese suppliers. And for something that's going to stay in contact with my (or a loved one's) skin... Absolutely no way.

Unfortunately, your answer makes it clear I won't trust the origin.

@Dogbowl and @tmassey, as a jeweler and someone who wears jewelry, I completely understand your concerns about what metals are used in Dive Flag Jewelry! Our items are cast out of brass or bronze, with rhodium plating. All the materials are lead-free. A few of the pieces may have a layer of nickel flashing under the rhodium, which can cause the tiny percentage of people with highly acidic body chemistry to have a reaction to the rings, since they are worn directly in contact with the skin.

As a business person, I am more than happy to share the origins of our merchandise, just in a less-public forum. I'm not sure how to PM you, or I would do that very thing!

Thanks for your understanding.

@DiveFlagJewelry

FYI... a little about me & son Sam IV

go here on the SCUBA Board
"SPG

History of Scuba Diving: Tales from the Abyss

Pioneers, agencies, gear and more: where did they all come from? What can we learn from their history
Avenue of the Divers: Scuba Legends & Pioneers"

Yep I am still interested in a decent dive flag ring made by a reputable company who stands by their product
Which is germ, pollution, contamination. made in USA and dog poop free
Sam Miller, 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom