Coming Week Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closed for boats 40' or less - but I'm actually much more optimistic about tomorrow now!
I hope you are correct but it seems to me that the port captain is hesitant to reopen the port once closed, on days two and three. If it lasts to day four or beyond then it appears the pressure to re-open builds to a point where it may reopen even if the conditions are marginal. As for initially closing it the decision seems some what arbitrary.
Port captain would not be a fun job to have, its not a job for the timid or thin skinned since no matter what you do someone will think it is wrong.

Is Aldora diving on the east side?

Port was open today, but there seemed to be some confusion in the morning. We loaded at the new marina, fired up the twin Yamahas, cast off, and drove out into the chop. It really wasn't that bad out there. I'm not the best at estimating ocean conditions, seeing that we live in Colorado, but it seems they were about 2-3' waves with gusts to about 20 mph? Vis wasn't much different than yesterday, and there weren't many smaller boats out for the 1st dive, but PLENTY out for our 2nd.

We were lucky to see SEVEN black tips at Palancar within 5 minutes of dropping in. Smaller guys, but they made a pass by us on their way to the deep. Windy all day, but nice and relatively cool.

Port was open today, but there seemed to be some confusion in the morning. We loaded at the new marina, fired up the twin Yamahas, cast off, and drove out into the chop. It really wasn't that bad out there. I'm not the best at estimating ocean conditions, seeing that we live in Colorado, but it seems they were about 2-3' waves with gusts to about 20 mph? Vis wasn't much different than yesterday, and there weren't many smaller boats out for the 1st dive, but PLENTY out for our 2nd.

We were lucky to see SEVEN black tips at Palancar within 5 minutes of dropping in. Smaller guys, but they made a pass by us on their way to the deep. Windy all day, but nice and relatively cool.
This is what I saw. It seems that those that planned as if the diving would happen only had to make some adjustments about where to board the boat and equipment. The current was strange. The first dive at Santa Rosa was moderate south to north. The second dive at Chankanaab started with a north south current that shifted to a back and forth sometimes coming off the shore. At times it felt like we were experiencing mild beech swells even though we were in 40 feet of water. The dive master nailed the call and the drop in both times. Watched 4 barracudas hunting and taking a kill right in front of us. This has been a great trip. Today was our ninth day of diving including a night dive and dives on Christmas and New Years. Tomorrow we are planning as if all will be well. I expect it will. Jackets on the boat are a good idea and the water temps were 78 today after having 79 for the last week.

... Watched 4 barracudas hunting and taking a kill right in front of us. .....Jackets on the boat are a good idea and the water temps were 78 today after having 79 for the last week.

Yikes. Not sure I want to be nearby when the 'cudas are in hunting mode, but neat, nonetheless.

I always thought parkas on a dive boat were for sissies. I happily grabbed one today, and was very glad they were provided!

Is Aldora diving on the east side?

Probably not, as you may know diving the other side is a logistical nightmare for us and in reality we do it for our customers so they don't miss a bunch of dives. Actually Wednesday and Thursday look like a possibility but the port is somewhat open.

Now at this very busy time of year our troops are pretty burnt out with Morning, Afternoon, and even night dives New Years Day. That all started last month when we had a super norte that closed the port for Three days. Capitans and crewed had to sleep there while the others provided food, tanks , gas—off a beach for four boats. That meant a lot of triple time pay.

But each of the three days all of our customers got to dive SAFELY --and in the Aldora way we provided taxi fare, lunch. Bottom line-- that cost us a lot more than the income we took in (regular 2 tank prices).

But if the port does get shut down, we will find some way to do it again and take care of our customers, many on their one vacation of the year. We understand that.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

They said they are receiving an update in 2 minutes from the master for the small boats.. 80% yes coz I'm on the dock waiting for mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom