Comments re: "Dive Palancar" at Allegro Hotel and Occidental Grand Hotel -Punta Sur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sytech, by the way, they don't have outside lockers anymore at the Allegro. Pro Dive Mexico now gives each diver a personal equipment box with name tag, and overnight they will safeguard your gear inside their equipment room, they also have inside hangers to dry your suit. They will prepare it for you also prior your arrival when you are scheduled for a dive..This is much better than the wodden lockers that Dive Palancar had, as all gear was jammed in the box outside the dive center, exposed to the weather and couldn't dry. So its better for your gear, and a better, more personal service.

Just returned from Allegro/Pro Dive trip. I would highly recommend them. All Instructors that take out small groups and give personal service. Safe and secure. I plan to return. Randy

The Allegro is a solid 3 star place. The Pro Dive operation is 5 star. I will return.

Hi all,
I am about to book a trip and stay at the Occidental grand. Is Dive Palancar still at the Occidental Grand, and Pro Dive is at the Allegro?
For Pro Dive, do they use steel tanks and what size? Do they limit bottom time? How big are the dive groups?
Esox69lb, do you know if the Grand is nicer than the allegro?
Thanks for the info in advance!

I do wish they would fix the description of the Trips sub forums, which are for selling or sponsoring trips. You'll get better info on the main Cozumel - ScubaBoard and I don't know enough to help on the two properties, so if no one notices your posts here for a while, try there.

I'm better at find cheaper deals for the same properties and flights. :D

We stayed at the Grand last summer and dove with Palancar. 45 minute dives and come up, no exceptions. Me coming up with 1400PSI and my wife with almost 1600 a couple of times convinced me I had no need to dive with them again, I don't mind a time limit for those of us who don't suck down air but 45 minutes was a joke. Don't know if it's a Cozumel thing or just that resort but the quality of the training and skills we observed for the divers on our boat was well below average. Lockers were outside and weren't exactly secure, you could reach between the bars and remove gear without opening the locker. If you aren't staying there the dive shop and dock is a good 5 minute walk from the parking area. Lobo our DM for the week was awesome though. I've posted my opinion and experiences with the Grand elsewhere but it basically boils down to: never again.

We stayed at the Grand last summer and dove with Palancar. 45 minute dives and come up, no exceptions. Me coming up with 1400PSI and my wife with almost 1600 a couple of times convinced me I had no need to dive with them again, I don't mind a time limit for those of us who don't suck down air but 45 minutes was a joke. Don't know if it's a Cozumel thing or just that resort but the quality of the training and skills we observed for the divers on our boat was well below average. Lockers were outside and weren't exactly secure, you could reach between the bars and remove gear without opening the locker. If you aren't staying there the dive shop and dock is a good 5 minute walk from the parking area. Lobo our DM for the week was awesome though. I've posted my opinion and experiences with the Grand elsewhere but it basically boils down to: never again.
I hate to hear about anyone having a bad time in Cozumel. It's my home most of the year and it bothers me that some operations seem to give a black eye to a place that doesn't deserve one. What you experienced didn't have to happen and it's a shame it did. 45 minute dives are not the norm. Most are a minimum of 60 minutes and more often than not, the DM will let you stay down longer if you still have gas and/or time. Most ops will also do their best to group people by skill level. While I can understand the never again for those two places/dive ops, I hope you'll still consider coming back to Cozumel.

Thanks all for the information. I have heard from others that some dive charters use steel 120's, and dives are 60 to 70 min. depends on avg. depth of course.

Some cater to tourists and are cattle cars, and some charge a little more, but have smaller dive groups and provide better service.

Back
Top Bottom