Common Fundies Mistakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still add that, if you are traveling for a class, that you should add a day at the end of the trip, in case there are issues that might be resolved by another day's diving. Of course, you do have to find out if your instructor can do the same, but if you are going to where the instructor is, he often can.

List is getting nicely refined, Lamont. Thanks for starting it.

Here are a couple other tips/mistakes:

Perhaps add to (1) above? - Talk to your instructor about total course expenses. I've heard from some students that they were surprised (shocked?) at some of the additional expenses this class involves that might not have been communicated well before they signed up. Things students are expected to cover during GUE-F (in addition to obvious ones like lodging and travel if flying somewhere): training cost, GUE registration, their own gas fills, rentals, boat/quarry/spring expenses, instructor's expenses (gas fills, boat/quarry/spring expenses, travel, lodging, etc). These add up and it's worth getting at least a decent estimate ahead of time. I know this would have smoothed over some expectations in a recent local Fundies class...

Perhaps add to (7) or (13) above? - Find time to talk with your fellow classmates about how you're all feeling and performing during the course. This might be most easily accomplished away from your instructor. It's a good way to bring up common issues/struggles and to reinforce positive attitudes (i.e. "we're all in this together, so let's help each other!").

As a corollary to the above - Find time for yourself. This class (and especially the higher GUE classes) can get intense. Even if you try to maintain a positive, fun attitude (which is ultimately very important to be successful--at least it was for me and my classmates), there are going to be moments of frustration. You need to find ways of getting away from such frustrations. Talking them over with your teammates is definitely helpful, but it's also important to just take some time for yourself. This is especially noticeable if you're traveling and sharing lodging with some of your classmates. As an example from our T1 class, which ran seven days, I'd take time each morning to get in a run before we'd meet for class. This gave me an hour to myself and let me "reset" each morning before we ramped back up. Totally helpful.

A lot of what Lamont is covering is "student help thyself". Even if the instructor is local-ish, he may not be 'local' to your shop. Consider if you only have one or two GUE instructors for your state. There is no way he/she is going to know every shop and every area perfectly. GUE is starting to pick up a bit of momentum and therefore we ARE seeing people from non-GUE affiliated shops showing interest in organizing a class. These people are not always going to just wander in to their local GUE affiliated shop and ask for help setting up the class, maybe they don't know it, maybe its 150miles away, maybe local politics, who knows...

Also you may have GUE grads in your area who had the class set up by someone else, their shop or the instructor, they can tell you what it was like to be in it, but not necessarily all the logistical 'behind the scenes' stuff that makes it flow when you are in the middle of it. To a degree you need to think of this a bit as an expedition. you wouldn't plan a reasonable sized mountain climb without thinking of many of the climbing equivalents (gear, food, hydration, expense, lodging, etc..)

one of the things i've seen consistently in my GUE classes, is that food and hydration are forgotten... Lamont touched on this. Both for the students AND the instructor. Ya'll are gonna need some fuel for your brain. Also if you depend on Pizza delivery or whatnot it can wreak havoc on your GI system if you don't normally eat that kind of thing.

If possible find someone you can lure in as beach support. To get the hot coco water and maybe some soup heated up and ready to roll for when you get out and swap tanks (maybe not so important in warm water locations), chug some gatorade, have some brownies or cookies or something... Its amazing what a bit of sugar/simple carbs and HYDRATION can do for your frame of mind and ability to concentrate and keep warm when in the middle of a long day.

Beach support can also be a LIFE saver when you forget something up at the truck and the idea of walking back in full kit sounds excruciatingly painful. Start the dive out 'right', if you need 2 extra pounds, let them go grab the 2 extra pounds... don't just blow stuff off or not 'mention' it cause you don't wanna go back to the car and get it.

support network. Let your family/friends/dog know that this is kind of an important thing to you. that you might get frustrated. that you might need their support. that you are basically gonna vanish for 5 days straight and come back every night exhausted and a bit vapor locked.

and remember, this is hopefully a 'team' effort, it takes a village to grow a GUE diver (even if its a tiny village at first). if you can tap in to your community for support, extra gear, help, input, etc... it can make all the difference in the world.

Rainier's input about time for self AND finding time to discuss with team-mates is also very good...

Another thing that can be helpful is finding a bit of time to talk to your mentor DURING class, possibly they are helping with the class, videoing it, or maybe by phone... Hopefully they know your instructor (have possibly taken class from them) and if there are misunderstandings brewing or whatnot, maybe they can help defuse the situation before it turns into a difficult teaching/learning environment... at very least they can commiserate a bit and maybe make you feel a bit better :)

one of my long distance GUE buddies actually called me up while I was stressed out around day 3 or so of Fundies, and just listened and yapped and listened and yapped... and strangely, but the end of the conversation, even though we hadn't really 'fixed' anything, i felt better just getting a lot of 'thoughts' off my chest, and it gave me someone completely outside the ongoing situation to offgas to (he had taken classes with my instructor) who was somewhat impartial. anyhow... it helped :)

Last edited:
Not allowing time for mid class practice sessions

Maybe add to #10? If your class is split over two weekends - making team and/or individual skill practice sessions between the weekends a priority, can be incredibly valuable.

Last edited:
Well, like all GUE classes, it's intense and can be quite tiring. Laura's point about shore support, if you can manage it, is a good one.

Wow, this is starting to sound more like training to be in the marines than prep for what's basically a personal-skills improvement class with some team skills added if everyone's up for it at the end.

My original YMCA Scuba training involved 7 very long day long sessions, and was worth every bit of that time, and effort.

The Fundies class, tho only 5 straight days, was at least as intense, sometimes more overwhelming, and also worth every bit of effort, even though I did not "earn a pass".

The two weekends, with practice in between approach does make some sense, having done the 5 day straight, with my head spinning there was so much new stuff to absorb, and no time to really perfect new skill before the next day's class.

GUE Fundies sure has made my diving since a lot more fun, pass or no pass!

the point is really to reduce all the exogenous stressors of the course, and make the whole thing go smoother.

i'm also just tired of reading "i didn't know i could ... i would have done it that way instead" and "oops, i changed all my gear before the course". there clearly is a need for pre-course guidance.

My original YMCA Scuba training involved 7 very long day long sessions, and was worth every bit of that time, and effort.

The Fundies class, tho only 5 straight days, was at least as intense, sometimes more overwhelming, and also worth every bit of effort, even though I did not "earn a pass".

The two weekends, with practice in between approach does make some sense, having done the 5 day straight, with my head spinning there was so much new stuff to absorb, and no time to really perfect new skill before the next day's class.

GUE Fundies sure has made my diving since a lot more fun, pass or no pass!

I do have some knowledge of how GUE-F (and other GUE classes go) and while I highly value the training I received, DIR/GUE-F is (was?) supposed to be the basics, introductory course.

A ginormous list like the one above for what is really a basic class just seems like it may end up re-enforcing some already prevalent misconceptions about fundamentals, as well as making the class look unapproachable.

I appreciate Lamonts note below that it does answer a lot of frequently raised points about the class, and that makes sense if its used in that context I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom