compact lobstering kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woodnymf333:
Hey,wait a minute...i thought using tools to get lobster was illegal. Don't the nj regs say no use of gaffs or something like that? I'm going to florida!

Our northern brothers are always welcome to the land of clear warm water, where you can dive in teeshirt and shorts during the day and hear your family sing praises as you pull fresh lobster off the grill dripping in melted butter. This florida bug hunter has always bowed to the northern hunters where the lobster fight back and can crack a finger or 2. But Florida bugs are still sweeter tasting!! :)

Of course I'd welcome a side by side taste testing/feast next time you're in town!!

matva:
haha u must be a pro, so what you carry the lobster around in your hand with you the whole dive? what happens if u see two lol.

nah, hands rarely work. the moment you move your hands move towards the lobster it is going to check you out and likely dart back in their hole so unless you can corner the lobster....
thats what happens to me anyway, dont know about you all.

I use hands only also. Grab them down by the knuckle and hang on. As for carrying them, we use large zip ties and put them on our stringers before we dive. As I get a lobster, slide his tail through the loop and pull the tie. Works like a champ. No bags. Size 13 shoe in the background.

Reel Fishaholic:
I use hands only also. Grab them down by the knuckle and hang on. As for carrying them, we use large zip ties and put them on our stringers before we dive. As I get a lobster, slide his tail through the loop and pull the tie. Works like a champ. No bags. Size 13 shoe in the background.

out here in sunny california a tickle stick, snare, gaff, hook, etc. will get you a signature on a love note issued by the local game warden. i find it really strange that you are allowed to use tools like these to catch lobster. i must admit, i really wished at times that i would have had one of these devices when i spotted that big bug just out of reach back in a crack or crevese. oh well i guess that's why there are still a few big bugz around. can't catch em' just wish you could !!!!:scubadive lol.... ken

what is this florida weakness you speak of? tickle sticks?
BAH! real men catch their lobster barehanded (no gloves!):D

Real men can do whatever they want. I use a tickle stick, net, gloves and a catch bag. Of course, I also have about 1904375 sores on my hand from handling the little buggers on the boat, but that's beside the point.

R

At 80 feet with max 25 minutes air time grabbing them by the knuckle will get you a few, but is time consuming. As biscuit 7 said, a bunch of lobster pokes and cuts gets old after a while. When they're stacked up under a ledge, a great team effort is to have one tickle them down the line and the other grabbing 'em by hand and stuffing in da bag.

I am enjoying my spring loaded equalizer snare and my trap door "hotel" lobster bag. I was averaging one bug per 20 seconds sans cuts last trip. I even found a "real man" back at the dock whom offered to clean our boat's 24 lobsters in return for keeping the heads. Let us clean the boat and stash our gear in record time.

I have seen a telescoping metal tv antenna tickle stick in use, works great for shallow holes, and a folded mesh bag as stated takes no space. Zip tying them and having them flop around on you will get in the way, trash your wetsuit, and probably attract non-desireable marine life. A three foot fiberglass tickle stick could also be velcro'd to your tank. But when it's bug season, that's what we're there for, and I can carry snare or stick, big goody bag, and pole spear or gun with no problem.

robo:
I can carry snare or stick, big goody bag, and pole spear or gun with no problem.

You are definitely talented. That's a lot to carry around. I haven't added the gun to the mix but I do carry a net with my bag, stick, and light. I think the net is the worst - but I use it a lot. AND, I have to clip everything to myself or I'll lose things. I look like a freakin' Christmas tree. But I've got tails in the freezer! :D

robo:
At 80 feet with max 25 minutes air time grabbing them by the knuckle will get you a few, but is time consuming.

Ouch 80 feet for lobster... I've never had to go deeper than 40 actually the shallower it is the better we do.

Wys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom