COMPARISON: Backplate and Wing to Stab Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some were cressi's, some were oceanics, some were sherwood - cant recall the actual model names. I am not that large around the mid-rift (36" for 6'3"), maybe it was the crushing nature of them on my ribcage that made me feel as if they were engulfing me. Lets just say i couldnt rest my arms down by my side as comfortably as i can the BP/W and i could see and feel they were bulky - it is definately something one can notice or just ignore (it seems a lot of people ignore it - i just couldnt).

My diving is very much a work in progress still, but when i feel something isnt right i change it. The jackets i used (probably only about 8 different cheap BC's) didnt feel right, put me off the more expensive ones, however i am sure there are some nicer ones out there - i just never found one before i purchased my BP/W - now i am happy with that.

DA Aquamaster:
I share your concern and have worked to try to achieve this with a BP/Wing. I have lately been diving with a 7mm semidry, an OMS Aluminum backplate and harness, a Dive Rite Rec Wing and a set of Dive Rite weight pouches. With double steel 72's I get reliable face up floatation even with the wing fully inflated. If I go limp, I gently rock backward to a fully face up position. The setup works equally well with a dry suit as long as the suit is not extremely squeezed.

The key here is to place the weights as close to the BP as possible which essentially keeps them virtually underneath the floatation of the wing and well aft of the floatation provided by the exposure suit. The DR pockets do this very well. I have tried Halycon pockets but they extend too far forward with the weights being esentially even with the midline of the body. The use of a weight belt is also not practical due to problems with the belt rotating around to the front if the weights are not evenly distributed around the belt. This results in the weights again being too far forward from the back plate to float the diver face up.

Achieving face up floatation with a single tank, particularly a single AL 80, would require a sizeable trim weight on the back side of the tank itself to provide the negative bouyancy at the tank required to maintain the proper center of bouyancy when on the surface.

Thanks DA for all the tips, I am sure to have a use for them, in the future.

Tomorrow I start a Rescue course here in Stockholm. I will be diving wet 6 dives this weekend(temp 15/16c). I am sure to relearn alot.

As far as gear goes I think will continue to rent BC's for a while untill I see what course my daughter's diving will take.
Should we continue to dive cold water I think I will go over to dry diving and when her skills have been fine tuned, over to a BP/W for doubles.

I just wish she was going back to the States now instead of July, so I could get some of my "new toys/ gear" before August.

Jim

Green_Manelishi:
Using a DUI W&T II system with "most" of the weight AFT, a single tank (HP80), steel BP, and a drysuit I am turned onto
my back on the surface. YMMV.

".

G_M,

What is a DUI W&T II system and what does YMMV mean?

Thanks, Jim

Back
Top Bottom