Compatibility BP/W throughout manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello guy not sure if this was already discussed here but I couldn’t find it if it was.
So i am getting into BP/W setups and i was given a mares Xr aluminum backplate by a friend. I have another friend who lives about 6hour north of me who is willing to sell me his apeks Wrx-d30 wing for 1/4 the price that he bought it for (he sadly has to stop diving due to medical issues) Now before i make a 12 round trip drive to go get it i am curious will it even fit. Ive been told some manufacturers are not interchangeable with others. So if anyone can inform me on if an apeks Wtx-d30 wing can be mounted to a mares Xr backplate i would greatly appreciate it.

Get the wing. If it doesn't fit, a new or used backplate is a lot less expensive than a quality wing.

But most likely it will fit. If you want to bolt it, the Mares backplate has a lower slot rather than a single bolt hole to accommodate any hole spacing on the wing. They both have cam band slots, eyeballing it they look compatible. If not, it's aluminum, you can use a file to lengthen the slots if needed.

They should all fit. It's fairly standardized. If for some crazy reason it doesn't, drilling holes or slots is easy. That is a long drive for gear though.

I honestly did not even think to just drill another hold if necessary. Dammit I’m mechanic to haha. Yes I know long drive. I will spend like $100 in gas but brand new its $445 for the wing and he said bring him $50 and some beer lol. Plus he is a friend that I’ve know for 10+ years. Also the same weekend I’ll plan a dive or make it a “family road trip” well that’s what ill tell the girlfriend. Also saving $300 is a good thing. I like supporting my local dive shops but i gotta support myself first.

Get the wing. If it doesn't fit, a new or used backplate is a lot less expensive than a quality wing.

But most likely it will fit. If you want to bolt it, the Mares backplate has a lower slot rather than a single bolt hole to accommodate any hole spacing on the wing. They both have cam band slots, eyeballing it they look compatible. If not, it's aluminum, you can use a file to lengthen the slots if needed.

They should all fit. It's fairly standardized. If for some crazy reason it doesn't, drilling holes or slots is easy. That is a long drive for gear though.

Well, he may want to visit. Besides, who knows what other goodies (tanks!) he might find.

Oh yeah so this guy is late 40s in age and has been diving for about 30years .. i know he has a bunch of stuff. He has a shearwater Teric with transmitter and a fairly new apeks reg so i might be spending more that 50 but i was planning on seeing where a few hundred will take me haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom