Competitive Diving - Save the Dive Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always thought it would be cool if the dive industry could hold some sort of 'Divemaster' competition much like life guards have their competitions.

It definitely couldn't hurt the waist line of a lot of SCUBA professionals I've seen.

PADI has their Going Pro challenge. How about some sort of challenge to show how good current pros are out there.

I think the big thing to growing the sport is frankly getting costs down and frankly teaching half the shops out there how to sell, and not what they want to sell, but what they need to sell.

While *competitive* Diving may not have been attempted (not even sure WHAT that would be), diving has certainly been the subject of many movies/IMAX movies, TV series (think Sea Hunt, UW detectives, Divers Down, Adventures in Scuba Diving), historical documentaries, etc.

There is also coverage of free diving events, which has propelled that sport to the forefront.. or not.

While media exposure is certainly nothing new for the promotion of many things, Scuba does not seem to rapidly grow every time they show a flick.

A LOT of folks don't like to swim, don't like water in their face, don't like the feeling of breathing off a reg, get claustrophobic, are scared of water, are scared of what is in the water... etc... You have just narrowed the audience down a LOT with those issues, and the entire, "we are not really made for the water" thing.

A media blitz may help encourage folks that have wanted to dive to get to it... however our current economic times are not helping either.

I encourage diving by planning diving events! These do not encourage new divers, but I enjoy just seeing folk that don't dive much, dive more. That is also worthwhile, there are a LOT of inactive certified divers out there.

I've always thought it would be cool if the dive industry could hold some sort of 'Divemaster' competition much like life guards have their competitions.

It definitely couldn't hurt the waist line of a lot of SCUBA professionals I've seen.

PADI has their Going Pro challenge. How about some sort of challenge to show how good current pros are out there.

I think the big thing to growing the sport is frankly getting costs down and frankly teaching half the shops out there how to sell, and not what they want to sell, but what they need to sell.

This contest has been raging for a few months down here and refrenced on many other threads courtesy for ONESPEED'S onespeed. :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/297307-vote-scubakevdm.html

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about "a game" underwater.

Some idea's:
Underwater hockey (similar to water polo?)
Underwater obstacle course (similar to running gates with a kayak?)
Underwater paintball?

I'd watch/play any and all of these (especially for the cheerleaders!!!).
You?

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about "a game" underwater.

Some idea's:
Underwater hockey (similar to water polo?)
Underwater obstacle course (similar to running gates with a kayak?)
Underwater paintball?

I'd watch/play any and all of these (especially for the cheerleaders!!!).
You?

Bullswan, can I ask your age (roughly). I'm just curious what demographic you represent. I have to admit I never thought of paintball but some form of laser tag would certainly serve the same purpose.

Bullswan, can I ask your age (roughly). I'm just curious what demographic you represent. I have to admit I never thought of paintball but some form of laser tag would certainly serve the same purpose.

I just turned 50. Feel younger though.
I like the laser tag thought better.

The ideas come from the odd feeling of sitting at the bottom of The Athletic Club pool with a full tank of air and nothing to do (you can only do the fin pivot skills so many times) .... plus I spend a lot of time alone with nothing but ideas of "how to make it better" running through my head.

By the way, my name is Greg. Bullswan is a pen name!

Last edited:
The Going Pro challenge really should be called "How fast can we take your money"

Or how fast can you produce a commercial with the potential to make millions for us:D and we'll give you a lousy 10 grand for doing it.:shocked2::depressed:

Rofl - when I did my life insurance phone interview recently, they asked a bunch of questions about my participation in scuba diving, including if I "Was engaged in Stunt or Competitive Scuba Diving." I laughed and told them I wasn't certain such a thing even existed...

Guess I was wrong(ish)?

-B

I think a "Sea Hunt" or some type of TV show that featured diving for the 20teens would be a good thing. I also think that reshowing the Jacques Cousteau film on TV would be cool. They caught some amazing things on film.

Back
Top Bottom