Completely new to Catalina Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130052600@N08/sets/72157649946762870/

Here are some pictures of yesterday's Catalina diving.
Thanks for your advice, guys.

By the way, where can I take a picture of Kelp forest nearby LA and how can I get there(by boat or just walking into the water)?

As far as kelp....Where do you live?....Now That you have dove the Avalon dive park its time to do as Dr. Bill said and take mainland dive boats to Catalina. There is no better way to enjoy it. They find the best spots for the day, usually good food, and no lugging around equipment. Again depending on where you live there are options to make it convenient.

Nice shots... they show the incredibly dense cover of the non-native Sargassum horneri. I haven't done much diving outside the dive park since the surge from Hurricane Marie back in August. There was some kelp in the north-west lee of Ship Rock when I was out there in September but don't know if that small forest still exists. No diving on the mainland coast so I also don't know the status there. You might consider Pt. Loma down in the San Diego area as historically it has had the largest kelp forests in SoCal.

2014 was an extraordinarily warm year and most if the kelps have died off. Wait for another month or so for water to drop well into the 50-Fs. Then the kelps will grow abundant again.

I question whether the kelp will grow back quickly despite a drop in temperature. We are seeing just a very limited regrowth ion areas below the depth of the Sargassum and in the small pockets where sunlight penetrates through the Sargassum to the substrate. The Sargassum is just way too dense to allow much regrowth of giant kelp this winter and spring. At least that's my opinion... we will have to wait and watch.

Dr Bill:

I love your posts -- great information and you clearly know what you're doing. So....

I am a AOW diver and before that spent about 3 decades doing snorkeling and free-diving (down to about 70 feet) in all sorts of regimes -- Caribbean (warm), Med (not so warm), California (Ab diving in Northern Callifornia) and even in Canada (Gaspe). So I got certified 2011 and then got AOW a year ago. Have done wreck divings down to 130 Feet in Sardinia. I'm trying to work a trip to the Island (I'm a native Californian -- 1-12 in the valley, and 13 to 21 in San Jose) with wife. My plan is to go out by boat and stay on the island for say 2 or 3 nights, and dive maybe 2 or 3 times a day but with as little time away from domestic companionship as possible. (We just returned from Belize and the all day boat trips were not fun for Kris).

I'm super comfortable in the water -- have been ab diving in kelp etc -- have a 5 mm new wet suit and all equipment except of course for tank --

SO, just so I got all that said, if I came out in September or October, what you advise me to do for say 2 days diving max, realizing that I want to minimize time away from the shore (but would like to get say 2 or 3 dives in each day) -- where would you go, who should I contact to set something up (I don't need a guide, I need a buddy, or at least after the first one). I did free diving in I think the dive park and loved it -- that was in the mid-90s.

Just looking for your recommendations, general or specific

Thanks much

Bruce (Not the shark)

Hello Everyone:

I'm going to be in Avalon this coming October 11 and 12 (Monday and Sunday). I'm AOW with 45 dives, and before that spent about 3 decades doing moderate, recreational snorkeling and free diving including ab diving in Northern California. So the kelp and cold water is no problem. Have all my own gear. Just need to rent tanks and weights.

So I'm trying to find someone who would be willing to do a shore dive with me (preferably the morning of) October 12. I really hate paying for a guide when the postings suggest this is a waste of time. If anyone is interested and willing to commit to doing it, please respond to me on the board or email me directly at brbutterworth@gmail.com. Am interested in 2 or even 3 tank dive. Air consumption and depth not a problem.

Also, I'm trying to line up a boat dive on October 11. Scuba Luv got me all excited about going with them on October 11 and then they cancelled the boat because of a daughter's wedding. This after I had specifically made plane, ferry and hotel rezs. Grrrrrrr. So I'm trying other shops and operators but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Looking not for an all day boat dive but perhaps 6 hours total.

Dr. Bill, you seem to be the guy who knows the most -- impressive posts - so if you have any connections or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Any other suggestions about Santa Catalina would be appreciated.

Was born and raised in Southern California but have been in Washington DC since 1975. Eager to get back.

Bruce Butterworth
brbutterworth@gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom