Question Compression sleeve while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend suggested yesterday that I try wearing compression sleeves on my legs. Totally unrelated to diving. I have not done so yet.

I did a minimal amount of Internet research on compression sleeves and everything I saw basically says that compression sleeves are useful because they promote faster circulation. That sounds like it would be a good thing for when someone is diving (particularly diving with mandatory decompression stops). Key word: SOUNDS.

I emailed DAN and asked if there are any risks or benefits to wearing compression sleeves under a wetsuit or drysuit. Their response was:

Generally speaking, apart from our normal thermal protection, wearing compression sleeves would not be recommended. These sleeves may inhibit circulation, which can affect our uptake and elimination of intent gas which may lead to an inert gas injury or illness. Often, the use of compression sleeves are used to treat circulatory conditions and these conditions may be incompatible with safe diving. We would recommend having a discussion with your Primary Care Physician regarding your overall health and fitness for diving.

That seems to, one, be directly contradictory to the other information I found about what a compression sleeve does. And, two, be somewhat based on a presumption that I have been told by my doctor to wear compression sleeves and, thus, a presumption that I have a health/circulatory "condition" (none of which is the case).

Do any of y'all have any information on this subject that you can share?

(meanwhile, rest assured that I am NOT going to go diving with compression sleeves - this is just a hypothetical question at this point)

Total layperson, but I'm thinking both views may be correct in a way.

Assuming that you have blood that is flowing at X l/m through a vessel of Y sqmm at say Z m/s. If passing through a vessel of Y/2 sqmm, a flow rate of X l/m would have to have a velocity of @Z m/s.

That is all great in an ideal and friction-less world. Where I think you'd end up is with higher pressure, to force somewhat less volume, but at a somewhat higher rate velocity.

From a circulatory perspective, I always thought of compressive legwear (typically lower-legwear) for use in preventing excess accumulation of blood in the legs. That would would of course improve the net turnover of blood in the legs by cutting the total volume.

Where the balance is, is a good question. maybe one for @Duke Dive Medicine ?

{edited to correct my terminology}

Complex question. Will try to find a simple answer.

I assume you are referring to compression hose/stockings. These are used in individuals with compromised venous circulation, to help blood and fluid return to the heart. Also frequently recommended for at risk individuals that stand a great deal. They would be of limited to no value for individuals with normal peripheral circulation. And even less usefully diving since gravity is not a factor (and you already have compression 😉)

Total layperson, but I'm thinking both views may be correct in a way.

Assuming that you have blood that is flowing at X l/m through a vessel of Y sqmm at say Z m/s. If passing through a vessel of Y/2 sqmm, a flow rate of X l/m would have to have a velocity of @Z m/s.

That is all great in an ideal and friction-less world. Where I think you'd end up is with higher pressure, to force somewhat less volume, but at a somewhat higher rate.

From a circulatory perspective, I always thought of compressive legwear (typically lower-legwear) for use in preventing excess accumulation of blood in the legs. That would would of course improve the net turnover of blood in the legs by cutting the total volume.

Where the balance is, is a good question. maybe one for @Duke Dive Medicine ?
Thanks for the add - I don't have much to add to what @uncfnp said.

@stuartv , what prompted your friend to make that recommendation?

Best regards,
DDM

Come on, we can all see what's going on here...... @stuartv is just looking for a reason to wear stockings:rofl3:

So a typical wetsuit isn't effectively a full body compression sleeve? Or at what point could it become one?
DAN's sounds like there is a bit of CYA factor involved, understandably.

Thanks for the add - I don't have much to add to what @uncfnp said.

@stuartv , what prompted your friend to make that recommendation?

Best regards,
DDM

My friend engages in extreme exercise. 24 ruck marathon events. He said that wearing calf compression sleeves makes his legs "feel better" during those events. We have been friends for many years and met through our work - so he knows that for my job I sit on my butt at a desk all day. He suggested that wearing calf compression sleeves would make my legs feel better after sitting at my desk all day.

I'm not really sure why he brought it up. I didn't say anything about my legs bothering me or anything like that. It seemed kind of random, to me, at the time.

Pertaining to what @uncfnp said: If they reduce the volume of blood in my legs, then even though gravity isn't really making a difference while diving, it still seems to be the case that the compression sleeves would have the same effect under water. Yes, there's high ambient pressure all around me, but it's the same all around me. So, wearing calf compression sleeves would still have the same effect, right? I.e. they are putting additional pressure there, compared to the rest of the body, so they would still reduce the volume of blood in my legs, right?

Using the river analogy, a narrower riverbed results in a higher rate of flow. So, I can see how compression sleeves would reduce the blood volume and thereby increase the rate of flow.

Does that mean that the tissues in that area might then off-gas more efficiently? If so, would that mean that off-gassing while diving in a wetsuit would be more efficient than off-gassing in a drysuit? Would you off-gas more efficiently in a drysuit if you dive it with some squeeze versus putting more gas in it to eliminate squeeze?

Bear in mind that just because something may be beneficial on land doesn't neccesarily mean it will be beneficial underwater and may actually be quite the opposite.

My friend engages in extreme exercise. 24 ruck marathon events. He said that wearing calf compression sleeves makes his legs "feel better" during those events. We have been friends for many years and met through our work - so he knows that for my job I sit on my butt at a desk all day. He suggested that wearing calf compression sleeves would make my legs feel better after sitting at my desk all day.

I'm not really sure why he brought it up. I didn't say anything about my legs bothering me or anything like that. It seemed kind of random, to me, at the time.

Pertaining to what @uncfnp said: If they reduce the volume of blood in my legs, then even though gravity isn't really making a difference while diving, it still seems to be the case that the compression sleeves would have the same effect under water. Yes, there's high ambient pressure all around me, but it's the same all around me. So, wearing calf compression sleeves would still have the same effect, right? I.e. they are putting additional pressure there, compared to the rest of the body, so they would still reduce the volume of blood in my legs, right?

Using the river analogy, a narrower riverbed results in a higher rate of flow. So, I can see how compression sleeves would reduce the blood volume and thereby increase the rate of flow.

Does that mean that the tissues in that area might then off-gas more efficiently? If so, would that mean that off-gassing while diving in a wetsuit would be more efficient than off-gassing in a drysuit? Would you off-gas more efficiently in a drysuit if you dive it with some squeeze versus putting more gas in it to eliminate squeeze?
People who wear medical compression hose have poor blood return from their legs, either from immobility or circulatory/lymphatic pathology. They are so tight you have to coax and beg them to go on. The pressure they exert doesn't exceed the arterial pressure going to the legs though, so arterial blood gets to where it needs to go, and the compression exerted by the hose squeezes the blood back up the legs.

It sounds like your friend was recommending athletic compression sleeves, which are different. They're advertised to improve venous circulation, but they can't be nearly as tight as medical compression hose because they don't have feet. I can't speak to the specifics, but the effect on venous circulation is probably negligible compared to the "muscle pump" that is constantly working in runners. Or, to your question, a finning diver. That's probably what @uncfnp meant - the compression of the legs of a snugly fit wetsuit probably does about the same thing. Given that, I think the effect on on and off-gassing would probably be minimal, but I don't see the benefit of wearing them while diving and it would be just one more piece of gear you'd have to rinse and dry.

Best regards,
DDM

Now you’re into the athletic realm and beyond my scope. Looks like you are indeed discussioning calf compression sleeves, similar to the knee sleeves we use in office for knee support. Like an ace wrap. Apparently they have some benefit in marathon runners both during and after a run. I could see a benefit in that very specific use. But again, I just really can not see any benefit diving since we are all already under pressure/compressed, water and suit. And then too the material of the sleeve would likely not hold up to diving and itself lose effectiveness due to external compression.

Oops. What DDM said :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom