Question Compression sleeve while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have increasingly noticed people wearing leg compression sleeves/socks on flights. The first time I recall noticing how popular they were was on a flight to Cozumel on which a number of passengers were traveling to participate in a triathlon. I wish I had asked whether they use them during the event itself.

Thank you, @Duke Dive Medicine and @uncfnp.

Yes, I was talking about athletic compression sleeves. They are rated for 20-30 mmHg compression.

I will (continue to) forego wearing them while diving.

I have increasingly noticed people wearing leg compression sleeves/socks on flights. The first time I recall noticing how popular they were was on a flight to Cozumel on which a number of passengers were traveling to participate in a triathlon. I wish I had asked whether they use them during the event itself.
most do not, some do.

There is no external compression from water pressure - because there is no differential in pressure.

I always thought that the reason you have to pee when in the water for a while is associated with the loss of the pooling of fluid in your legs and more blood and fluid being therefore routed to your torso and thus your kidneys - making you pee???

When you are immersed in water the pooling of fluid in the legs is reduced or greatly eliminated -which would seem to obviate the need/benefit of compression socks?

If you’re in trim position your calf’s venous return I’m guessing would be assisted by gravity.

There is no external compression from water pressure - because there is no differential in pressure.

I always thought that the reason you have to pee when in the water for a while is associated with the loss of the pooling of fluid in your legs and more blood and fluid being therefore routed to your torso and thus your kidneys - making you pee???

When you are immersed in water the pooling of fluid in the legs is reduced or greatly eliminated -which would seem to obviate the need/benefit of compression socks?
There is also a redistribution of fluid from extremities.

I know that there are no air compartments to compress in the legs but I assumed the water exerted an external compression force. But again this is well beyond my knowledge level.

Cold water diuresis is real. But, it is not from water pressure. It's from being cold.

Your body restricts blood flow to your extremities to preserve warmth in your core. That means you now have more volume of blood in your core. Your body starts working to reduce the volume by producing urine for you to eliminate.

I always thought it was immersion diuresis- even in warm water - you gotta pee.

If there was a compression effect on diver's legs from water pressure, I assume it would be much greater at 200 versus 10 feet, yet I don't think it occurs.

I've heard/seen anecdotal evidence of people getting bent in the elbow, presumably because they kept it bent and unmoving during the ascent and deco. Periodic movement of the limbs, major joints etc. in a gentle fashion that promotes blood flow always seemed like a good idea to me. Thus any kind of compression or tight straps while diving, always seemed like something to avoid - to me anyway.

I have lymphedema in my arm from breast cancer treatment. I wear a compression sleeve on land but not when wearing my wetsuit. There’s no benefit or need for support while diving. Also no swelling when I return to land.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom