computer failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't get into the specifics of the dive with him, but he was in Bonaire a couple days ago doing 190' on air using his computer to calculate deco -- no deco gasses. He told me today that he was bent in the neck, but didn't want to go to the chamber which is only 5mins away from here (and Bonaire has a few too). He knew it later that day with pain, swolleness, and fatigue. The plane ride home certainly didn't help matters either. He's been hit before doing that stuff, and he's been around a lot people who were bent, but he has to be "a man", I guess :rolleyes:.

Those computers are just bringing you up way too fast from depth. He's an 'ole PADI guy who knows nothing about deep stops or any of that stuff and doesn't care to learn. He's been diving forever, and thinks he can trust what he's told and what a computer tells him. I've done a lot of those dives with a Pro and came out feeling like crap, but he won't listen to me (he has more pieces of plastic in his wallet than I do). Bend-o-matics is what I call them :wink: :D.

Oh well, that's the way it goes, I guess.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Those computers are just bringing you up way too fast from depth.
Ye know, Yoop, ye're right. The efficacy of deep stops is without doubt even if the theories behind 'em are still a little "out there" in some experts' opinions. When I think of the years I spent using the "60 FPM directly to the first stop" (or to the surface, for that matter) method, it scares me to think how close I likely came to a serious hit.
Rick

Thanks everyone for your replys. I just wanted to say that i dont stay on the bottom until i got 2 mins left everytime but we do end up coming with in 5 on some of the deeper dives I do, but deeper dives to me is most likely shallow for you. I heard someone was down to 190 i like staying at the rec limit of 130 and usally Im diving 60-110 foot wrecks off of Jersey. When i come up I come up very slowly I dont rush it usally I come up to slow for it to show on my computer. At 15 feet i do a 5-6 or 7 min hang and I just wanted to have something to back myself up incase the computer would fail. So thanks again everyone you helped me out alot.

Hey Yooper

I would be cureious to know exactly what happened, This is the
first time I have ever known of someone geting bent on a aladan.

I have used one often, But i do always use an assent rate of 30'
per minute & I always do deeper stops.

190' with no o2 is not smart, Without the o2 you have no extra
safety margin.!!

Why someone would refuse a chamber ride is beyond me.!!

Another good reason to pay your dan premium.!!!!!

Dive Safe, Nordic Diver

I know I've been close with my old Pro. I got a case of skin bends once while diving in the Straits and untold days of heavy drowsiness following repetitive deeper air dives. I know a guy who got bent good last year while diving in the Straits with a Pro. The did three basic deco dives (less than 8min mandetory deco each) in one day (the Ward, Minneapolis, and the Cedarville, I think) all on air with no deco gasses. He got hit good and went to the chamber in Marquette. He's a local guy too (out of the same shop). These guys have no clue. PADI tells them 60'/min and to do what their computer tells them, and that's all they know. I just shake my head anymore.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom