Computer in the console or on wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the wrist. I like having my info on one wrist and compass on the other.

If god had intended you to dangle your instruments out on a long hose then they would not have come with wrist straps in the first place. Oh ... I almost forgot, my gauges have to go on my wrist, I use a hoseless SPG/Confuser and I guess I can't see adding a hose for no other purpose than dangling my gauges.

But seriously, the bungie straps look like a great idea. I have a neoprene sleeve that carries all my gauges and lives in a Pelican Case when it's not on my arm. The benefits are that all my data is within a single view and my compass navigation is much more accurate since I know that the lubber line is the same as my direction of travel. The drawbacks are the wrist-rings on my dry suit and reaching into holes.

Years ago I bought the USD Monitor in the console along with the SPG and compass. What I found was that I liked to consult my computer often ...or maybe better said, I like to have the information right in my face most of the time. For that reason I bought the wrist scabbard for the Monitor and took it out of the console. I wore the computer that way for 10+ years and never gave a thought to going back to the console mount. When it came time to look at a Nitrox capable computer I went straight to the wrist mount.

This is a pretty personal decision and you're likely to get a lot of opinions, with good justification for both approaches but for my diving style I like being able to glance over at my wrist and see exactly what's going on instead of having reach for my console and orient it properly so that I can read the display.

'Slogger

I like a console, large enough to see, (with my old guy eyes). I have it on a self retracting holder. Saves me from tucking it in, or letting it drag. Just whip it out, read it, let it go and it zips right back to your BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom