Computer on wrist or in console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a computer and bottom timer on right wrist, compass on left wrist. It's kind of like driving a car, do you want the speedometer behind you or on the seat beside you, or do you want it in front of you where it's easy to see at a glance?

One downside to wrist mount that no one's mentioned, and the one use by my OW instructor is that the console mounted instruments are out of your way when you are doing things like digging under rocks for stone crabs or hunting. She spearfishes all the time (and it quite good at it), and it's more convenient for her to have everything in the console.

As with a lot of things, the best tool or set-up may change depending on the application.

John

I also like the wrist mounted computer. I find that I check it more often on my wrist and I really like being able to refer to it easily on safety stops.

The consoles are nice for having everything together in one place, but they can be bulky. Another advantage of the console is that you are not going to forget it on a dive like you could a wrist mounted computer. I have never personally forgotten my computer but I have seen it happen.

See if you LDS will let you try both types prior to purchase and good luck.

i have a writst computer, i wear it on my left and hold my air gauge in my left too so when ever i check one i check the other also. this works for well for me.

:dork2:i have been one of those idiots who left there computer on the table at the dock and didn't realize it until it was time to suit up. we were in belize, turneffe island lodge, and had been diving with the same dm for several days so he let me still dive but it was very uncomfortable not having a depth gauge and made me realize how much i look at mine. i used my buddy/husband and the dm as reference points but when i do a surface interval on land and take it off i always attach it to my bcd so that won't happen again. and i now live with my husband always asking me if i know where it is!

By the way, if you take your wrist instruments off and fasten them around one or more of your regulator hoses, they'll stick with you just as well as if they were more permanently attached to the reg. I use that trick (or attaching them to a D-ring) all the time, and it makes it *much* more difficult to leave them behind.

(If you do, you left your reg or your rig behind, so you really ought to stay out of the water until you're more in the game, anyway, eh? :D)

Hehe, while I was unpacking, checking, and repacking last night for ItK, I actually laid everything out like they do to reconstruct aircraft accidents. I wanted to be extra-extra careful before such a long (and long anticipated) trip. :biggrin:

I personally wear mine on my wrist because it much easier to watch my ascent speed / time and deco times. However, in the group of divers I usually go out with I am the only one who does, everyone else has their computer in the console. Since your computer is interchangable why don't you try a few dives on your wrist and a few in the console and see what if more confortable for you.

Computer or analog depth guage on left FOREARM, watch on left wrist. Nothing on my right. I have a small but adequate one inch compass on the computer (or depth guage) strap. SPG on left hip D ring. Knife on left waist of Hog rig or sometimes on my weight belt, still left side. Vintage I might wear a larger knife to the right to balance the SeaVue. N

Got my Oceanic VT3 strapped to my left wrist. However, gonna try the right to test some of the reasons in this thread.

:14:

oh, something else I'll add in here. I used to use a cheapy digital watch (seiko?) and strapped that around my BC corrugated hose. When I descended I just hit the button to start timing. That way if my computer fails (before I got my bottom timer) I had a backup. Its pretty convenient, and not too bulky.

oh, something else I'll add in here. I used to use a cheapy digital watch (seiko?) and strapped that around my BC corrugated hose. When I descended I just hit the button to start timing. That way if my computer fails (before I got my bottom timer) I had a backup. Its pretty convenient, and not too bulky.

Not a bad idea.

or you breathe harder than the hooveriest diver I've ever seen

Sorry off topic, but I'm a newb... What is meant by the term hooveriest? I've read it here before but not quite sure what is meant by it. I always thought you wanted to have good buoyancy and "hover" in the water, thus your air consumption will improve...

Best decision I ever made was to lose the console and get a SPG and wrist computer. The streamlining is fantastic, especially in CA kelp diving. The SPG comes under my left arm and stays clipped close to my left shoulder, where I can access it easily, and the rest is on the wrist. No dangling hoses, not even a bulky console at my hip.

Back
Top Bottom