Computer suggestions for first time buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snodine

Reaction score
I am Advanced Open Water and NITROX certified and I'm looking to take more training this year.

I am looking into finally breaking down and getting a dive computer. Any suggestions about brands, models, etc. would be appreciated. I have a regulator, BCD, and console setup but am thinking it is time to upgrade.

Any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

Steve

i've moved your question here so those in the know can you give you the inside scoop.

I like my Oceanic Versa Pro. I opted to not go AI, didn't see the cost-benefit.

Easy to use, reasonable software, user-replaceable batteries. A bit less conservative, but I like that being left up to me...

gj62:
I like my Oceanic Versa Pro. I opted to not go AI, didn't see the cost-benefit.

Easy to use, reasonable software, user-replaceable batteries. A bit less conservative, but I like that being left up to me...

Either the Versa Pro or the Veo 200 (same features, a little smaller numberals on the display) would be good computers to start. Suunto has some 'puters like the Gekko or the Vyper that would be good as well.

I would definitely stay away from Air-only computers, even if you think you won't dive Nitrox. You're saving a few bucks on a couple hundred dollar purchase, and if you buy an air computer, it'll be useless if you decide to go the Nitrox route in the future.

One benefit of the Veo 200 over other computers is flexibility. The Veo can be used in a wrist mount, or a console mount very easily since it's basically the old hockey-puck form factor (initially intended to replace depth gauges). My first computer was a hockey-puck style computer (Oceanic React Pro) and I still use it as a backup on my wrist.

PurduEE:
Either the Versa Pro or the Veo 200 (same features, a little smaller numberals on the display) would be good computers to start. Suunto has some 'puters like the Gekko or the Vyper that would be good as well.
I was comparing the Versa Pro and the Vyper. You can download a trial of the software for comparison here: Oceanic Demo ; Suunto Demo. My dive shop wouldn't reccommend one over the other; then I compared prices. The Ocenic is about 100 cheaper. BOth have audible alarms and a PC downloadable. If you don't need the fancy PC connection the Gekko is the same as the Vyper without this option.

My suggestion, look around. See if there is a demo for the computer so you can play around with it a little and look at some of the features.

Vyper.

The Vyper and the Versa Pro use different decompression models. I believe the Vyper is a more conservative computer, especially on multiple dives...

I like my genisis react pro. I like the idea of having my presure gauge, computer, and compass all in one package. some like the wrist mount but I dont.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom