Computers and "technical" diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far fetched but probably as statistically valid as a first stage failure....

Do you employ special battery changing/servicing regiments to fend off this possibility? And should the 'unthinkable' happen, what would be your plan of attack? Lets say you were diving the HydroAtlantic in your own Sunshine State and incurred a deco obligation....you set the parameters and help us understand the logic of why two computers would be more appropriate than tables and your mind.

I certainly hope everyone doesn't still believe that old wives' tale that 'computers get you out of the water faster and safer'.....most of the time the computer guys leave me deep and I'm out of the water and dry by the time they finish their 20 (and I'll argue my 'profile' was safer and less 'symptomatic'. Go over and visit the 'Ask Dr Deco' section when Wenkie is there...he'll help you with computers vs tables argument.

Walter once bubbled...
Those arguments are not wreck specific, they apply to any dive.

For a back up, I use my other computer.

I was a big fan of using another computer as back up at one time also, but fortunately, no longer. There is a device used to pinpoint locations in a cave in reference to the surface. Hell of a surprise when it started and the computers went kaput. I will never get in the water without tables again.
Cheers and remember that electronic things break.

The Ginnie dive is without O2. The Cow dive is done to avoid blocking the restriction doing a 30' stop. A 125 runtime back to the entrance to the restriction results in a 11 minute stop @ 40 ft then 19 total @ 20 and 10. This tables assumes I spend between 20-80 minutes at 105ft I have runtimes from 50 -125 minutes on the table. I also consider my tables to be very conservative and can still get out of the water before most computers.

Hey Waterlover,
First, let me thank you for not blocking the restriction. Second, let me recommend O2. Whoever you decompression instructor was should have informed you that doing back gas deco is not the best thing to do. Do you have contingency gas in the water for a wtf? If not, you may want to speak with someone next time you are in Fl as I would hate for you to get bent due to gas problems.
2 hours is an eternity in Cow. You are sidemount? Lining out all of the tunnels passable in backmount doesn't take much longer than this.
Cheers and safe diving.

your question seems to be on which computer to use.

for technical diving there is only one. VR3 it will change the way you dive.
The reason i say the only one, is because it is helium friendly, uses hetox for deco profiles, can change gasses etc underwater, ++++

only those who use it really understand how benificial it can be. for instance you dive is now decided on how much deco you want to do. so say you know you have enough gas to do 1 hours deco.

bottom time becomes less important, you simply watch your deco time, [and of course your gas consumption,] especialy in caves or wrecks as you are diving a saw tooth profile. you will find that your run times are extended. and for those square patterns like in open ocean dives you will be out of the water well before the rest of the team. [or at least you will know that you are doing that "extra" deco

as for redundency, it is like every other piece of gear. have two or more. I personaly use two VR3's and cary tables in my pouch.
I have had the computers fail before, but it doesn't prevent me from using them. I have had regs fail too but i still use a regs. the same with almost every piece of gear

For a "technical" dive there's only one thing I count on - tables. Dive with 2 computers and a bottom timer. Having had computers turn to pumpkins too often, tables are my plan, computers are for verification only.

techdiver2us once bubbled...
For a "technical" dive there's only one thing I count on - tables. Dive with 2 computers and a bottom timer. Having had computers turn to pumpkins too often, tables are my plan, computers are for verification only.

why spend the money on computers then, just use a bottom timer and tables. the dark ages embase you

Sherp,
next time I talk to Barb I'll scold her for not reenforcing the O2 deco enough......:):).

I'll throw in my 2 cents... I usually use a computer on wreck dives where I do not plan to do a gas switch during deco. I also have a bottom timer so if the computer craps out I have a clue about where I am in the dive. If I am doing a deeper dive where I switch to 50/50 then O2, I usually have two bottom timers along with the slate and the dive plan.

The computer is a good tool for diving. It is not perfect and not infallible.

Robert :doctor:

Hey Waterlover,
I forgot about that tie.
You may want to seek some additional training if she was your last instructor. Great new information has come out in the last few years.
My "training" was cutting edge once. The deco methods that we are using on a quazi-daily base now are very different than what I was taught.
Cheers, and don't forget the O2.

As a side note, your "instructor" uses computers exclusively unless running tables from memory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom