Computers...On the wrist or On a hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has already been mentioned, the only things to worry about are dangling bits and divers who will tell you there is only one right way.

My preference is hose mount as it's one less piece of gear to keep track of. It's right there on your reg. And I personally don't care for anything mounted on my wrists. I clip my Cobra on a D ring that is convenient to read the gauge and take a quick heading without unclipping. If I need a little more serious navigation, it's easy enough to unclip.

One thing that I do with my console dive computer/compass is that to mount it on the right side (double HP ports on the regulator is nice) so that my right hand can hold and look at the computer for depth & ascension rate while the left hand manipulates the power inflator.

For people that have only one HP port, they simply have to grab the computer with the right hand and go across the body so that they can look at depth & ascension rate while the left hand is busy with the inflator. A slight convenience because the console's hose goes across the front of your body, but workable.

I watched my wife get her AI console computer snagged between two rocks while exiting a tight swim through in a coral canyon. She got it loose quite easily after I hauled her back by the fin. I ordered wrist mounted instruments and a small SPG which has a clip attached.

I'm happy with a simple pressure gauge clipped off to my waist, and my non-air-integrated wrist unit.

I hate the problems associated with the transmitters and such, but I hate hoses the most! If it weren't necessary, I wouldn't have any hoses XD. As it is, my hoses are extremely short, but that's because all my gear was bought used from someone else who hates hoses.

After purchasing a new bcd, one of my first purchases will be something to get rid of that darned pressure gauge hose.

I can't decide whether I want to save up (forever) and buy the Oceanic mask with the computer built in or if I just want to get a wrist mount.

I watched my wife get her AI console computer snagged between two rocks while exiting a tight swim through in a coral canyon. She got it loose quite easily after I hauled her back by the fin. I ordered wrist mounted instruments and a small SPG which has a clip attached.

That's one way to get out of trouble with the wife for buying new expensive equipment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom